Logo

Experience of a 2012/13 Evinrude 90 E- TEC , 115 model, or any current E-Tec model, please ?

Mole

Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my 60 hp 2 stroke Mariner (which I hate !) to either a Evinrude 90 E-Tec, or 115. It is to go onto a lightweight sports boat (Salcombe Flyer) so I am mindful of the weight, hence I am thinking of an Evinrude, over a 4 stroke Suzuki (one of the lightest 4 strokes, I believe ?). My main concern is starting, having really struggled with the Mariner, but perhaps as that was a 2005 model and a Mariner, I might be being unfair on the modern Evenrude E-Tec engines, that I have heard good things about. Also with their computer technology are they more difficult or perhaps easier to set up for reliable starting. Any feedback good or bad, would really be appreciated.

starting a motor should not be an issue on any motor that runs good once started...you need a battery that turns the motor above 300 rpms to get fire and a good gas feed and perhaps a little choke...to answer your question the e-tec is a good engine but if you have an external reason for your starting problem then that needs fixing first..a 2005 model engine thats been cared for should have some years left in it...

The E-tec motors are wonderful for folks who have trouble / do not understand how to start a motor.--------You basically step into the boat turn the key and go.----Computer does all the thinking for you.--------These motors will even follow commands and winterize themselves.

...to either a Evinrude 90 E-Tec, or 115. It is to go onto a lightweight sports boat (Salcombe Flyer)...
Will the boat handle 90 or 115 HP? What is the HP limit stated on the coast guard placard?

Back