Logo

1994 Force 120 Compression good??

Kevin9189

Hello,

I have a 1994 Force 120 outboard motor. The compression ranges from 90-100 psi. Is that good enough?
I'm having a problem keeping it running in the water. Of course it runs well on the hose.

Any information would help.

good enough...within 10% is the general rule...check spark to make sure it will jump 7/16 of and inch with a good snap...you can make a spark tester bit the auto stores sell one fairly cheap....your decision is whether you have a fuel problem or a fire problem...check the fire as mentioned...then put an inductive timing light in the boat and see if you are firing on all cylinders at the time of failure...
we are going to need more detail on the problem...do you have a miss when it on the hose but it keeps running?a hose does not have any exhaust back pressure...at what speed is it dieing...at idle or up and running etc...has the boat been used this year and ran well at one point?...is the boat and motor new to you or have you had it for a while and the problem just came on the engine?new gas or old gas etc?

So, 90-100psi is good? I will check the spark. Runs smooth on the hose. I will start it at home before I head to the lake, put it in the water and it will start but only stays running 30 seconds before it dies.
Then it gets harder to start and only stays running a few seconds. One of the last times I was out, I adjusted the idle a little(1/4 turn) to keep it running. It worked for awhile but would die putting it into gear.
This boat is new to me. The gas tank was drained and has fresh fuel.

90# is NOT good compression.
The results are low. Could be the gauge or the procedures used in taking the test??
You remove all the plugs?
You say it's running? Then the results are probably in the test.
The results should be all within 5-maybe 10# of each other.
You say you adjusted the "idle"???
What screw did you adjust?
The idle is adjusted with the towershaft.It needs to be turned IN to raise the rpm's.
If you turned the screw on the carb? That screw is for the air/fuel mix at idle.
Turn it back.Or turn it out 1 full turn and leave there till your ready to do a final adjustment.
Do another comp test.Results should be 145-165 with a good gauge.
The results all need to be close within 5-10# of each other.
Then check for spark.
Then rebuild the fuel pump.
The 94 came with an enricher, no choke. It's possible the enricher is feeding too much gas into the carb and killing it?

I'm trying to figure out if I can rule out the compression? #1-94psi, #2-92psi, #3-95psi, #4-100psi. All plug were removed. I adjusted the idle on the towershaft and did not touch the carb screws.
I understand the compression is not the greatest, but should/ will it run in the water with these results?

Fill out the profile,location.
You might be close to someone who can help?
Like I said and Papyson suggested .
Something else is wrong.
The motor will run with low comp.
But that low is due to the gauge.
Plugs burning ok?
Start with another gauge.
Then a spark test.
On the carb, the float bowl, there is a line from the enricher/choke to each bowl.
Unhook it and see if it's pumping gas all the time?
Or just when you push in the key.
You check the fuel pump diaphram?

I am a little new to all of this, but I have a question if its not to late.
Does your motor have an impeller?
a bad impeller will still run like a champ on a hose.
And overheat on the lake, boiling your gas.
Once again sorry if this is to late, or for my possible ignorance.

Lovefishin, 99.99% 0f all outboards have an impeller.
Boiling the gas??? New one on me??
The only way it would run ok on the impeller is if the impeller was totally gone/missing.
The amount of pressure needed from the hose would be about 80# to bypass the pump housing and impeller.
Most house systems have under 40#

Back