Logo

1988 30 hp -hot exhaust cover and power head, not a steady stream from tell tail?

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Good day guys, I just received a 30 hp Mariner, 2 cylinder one carb, serial number 30 ML 689 L 331200.

First time she ran in 5 years, the water coming out of the tell tale hole was hot (atfirst cold) and not a steady stream. The thermostat/exaust/close to spark plug holes were hot to the touch after 30 seconds of running. So, I shut it off. When trying to take a look at the stat, I twisted off (quite freely actually) one out of the 3 thermostat bolts. When running I noticed the area around the thermostat getting wet (maybe it was splashing water from the tub I was running it in?).

My questions are;
-Could I have opened the seal somewhat when the bolt sheard?
-Does it sound like the thermostat is bad? If so, should I still try and take off the cover to clean up the area/test thermostat?
-What should I do next?

Upfront thanks for any help.

Robby

I have a few engine stats stamped 143F for opening temp. A US domestic hot water heater, on the normal setting puts out 140F water for a baseline. Water boils at sea level at 212F. Steam starts accumulating some 10 or so degrees F prior to that.

Questions:

Opened what seal with the broken bolt?
Why would one suspect the stat is bad not knowing how hot is hot?
Answer the above questions and add this to it: Where is your pee tube plumbed; off the stat or off the exhaust manifold water jacket?

Mark

I have a few engine stats stamped 143F for opening temp. A US domestic hot water heater, on the normal setting puts out 140F water for a baseline. Water boils at sea level at 212F. Steam starts accumulating some 10 or so degrees F prior to that.

Questions:

Opened what seal with the broken bolt?
Why would one suspect the stat is bad not knowing how hot is hot?
Answer the above questions and add this to it: Where is your pee tube plumbed; off the stat or off the exhaust manifold water jacket?

Mark

Hot as in the power head face place is too hot to touch after 30 seconds of running, and so's the water coming out of the tell tale hole.

In respect to my pee hole (damn that sounds gay) there's no hose running to it. With this model water simply comes out of the pee hole that's situated on the underside of the bottom cowling. The bolt I broke off while unscrewing them. These 3 bolts belong to the cover for the thermostat housing (which is part of the power head faceplate. i.e. its one unit). So, I'm wondering if me breaking that one bolt (with the other two tightened) makes the seal on the cover of the thermostat no longer functional?

Sorry for the confusing post, and thanks for any previous or future help.

Robby

Not familiar with your engine. Sounds like you have a serious overheat problem however.

Larger engines take water from the exhaust manifold, engine water jacket cover over the pistons, or the outlet of the tstat. The water is routed by hose to an outlet where you said yours is. With no hose and water coming out it sounds like a hole was drilled in the block in the area of the outlet and that's how it works.

A picture of where your stat housing problem is would really help. Pictures are very easy to upload from a digital camera. We surely could help you better.

Mark

Not familiar with your engine. Sounds like you have a serious overheat problem however.

Larger engines take water from the exhaust manifold, engine water jacket cover over the pistons, or the outlet of the tstat. The water is routed by hose to an outlet where you said yours is. With no hose and water coming out it sounds like a hole was drilled in the block in the area of the outlet and that's how it works.

A picture of where your stat housing problem is would really help. Pictures are very easy to upload from a digital camera. We surely could help you better.

Mark

In all actuality my model doesent have a tell tale hose, its basically set up this way.

I have pics but can't upload them. I tried doing uploading them to this site, and even with the advanced option and there was no go. So, any chance you can pm me your email address so that I can attach it to that? Or, do you have any other options?

Thanks mark

Robby

Here's what I did:

Below right of this window is a box: Go Advanced. Click (ck)
At bottom of page is: Attachments. ck
Manage attachments window: ck
Upper right of window is a small box: Add files with a + sign. ck
Click "Select Files" box.
Find file number (address) in your computer and highlight it. Double click on it.
File number should then show up in the previous screen of "upload file".
Upload file. Pic should then show up in Attachments.
That's it.

Mark

Thanks for the advice. I just tried to do what you said. Unfortunately, the pic sizes are too big. The only way I can attach is with a private email. I'm not some scam or virus, truthfully, so if you wanna send me your email address via pm i'd be all greatful. If not, I'd still be greatful for all your help.

Cute dog btw.

Back to the drawing board. let me know if you have any breakthroughs.

All the best.

Robby

You can resize your pics with a photo shop tool,download for free,I use editor Photoshop,but it's a very old version. You can also up load to photobucket or flicker,the free versions,copy and paste the link here,and everyone can have a look

You can resize your pics with a photo shop tool,download for free,I use editor Photoshop,but it's a very old version. You can also up load to photobucket or flicker,the free versions,copy and paste the link here,and everyone can have a look

Hey thanks man. I'll try it. Texas mark gave me his email address, can you do the same because I got pics of alot of stuff that I "NEED" guidance on because I managed to move the bottom cowling, and managed to get the cylinder head face place off. SO, i need some guidance on things like the gasket, underside of the cylinder head face plate, pistons, and the like.

Thanks for any help before, or to come.

Robby

Back