Logo

BF40A valve clearance

chris66

Hi, I'm new here. I need to adjust the valves on my 2007 bf40a. I've done a search and can't find what the clearance should be.
Can anyone help me please. Thankyou.

Chris

IN= .005"-.007"
EX= .008"-.010"

Just converting what Mike gave you because I was here and thought it might help if you only had FRACTIONAL FEELERS.

Have fun!

Just a random question but what factors other than loud ticking would one want to adjust valves...other than the obvious if you had checked clearances.

Ryan

If there is no clearance the valve will not close and could be burned by hot / high pressure gasses.----This is an important maintenance check.----Just because the valves are " quiet" does not means everything is OK.

As a valve works, it contacts the seat again and again with some force. Over time, the seat and the valve face can wear and cause the valve head to "sink" into the seat area. This ALWAYS results in the clearance between the rocker and the valve stem to DECREASE, resulting in "tight" valves.

Since Honda has a habit of making things that they want hard...well... HARD....REALLY HARD, this is not a condition I run into on the Honda's I check. But, because it CAN happen, it is a good idea to periodically check. I very rarely need to adjust the valves on Hondas when I check them.

See? You have to put a LOT of hours on a Honda to wear the valve seats down! They have their problems but they are definitely built TOUGH!

Ha ha, I probably shouldn't have even said that! Really, for outboard motors, they have very few. Almost all my experience is with the smaller versions of 20 hp and down but I do haunt this site and have a bit of a feel for some of the larger displacements.

The 225 has had some issues over the years but you will find owners that swear by them...chawk_man for one and I think Honda has ironed out many things that were bothersome after those models were first introduced.

The issues that come up time and again are usually clogged carburetors. The carbs can give a guy trouble if he doesn't adhere to a strict regimen of using clean fuel and keeping them drained when not in use. This is less of a Honda problem than it is an ignorance problem. Same thing for the fuel injected models. If you don't take care when buying your fuel and if you don't service the VST and filters RELIGIOUSLY, then problems are right around the corner.

I guess when saying "Hondas have their problems", I could have added "and it is usually with their owners".

I should have said that if you are a Honda owner, then you own one of the most trouble free and best supported outboards in the world. It has been that way for a very long time now.

Back