Logo

1971 7HP Ted Williams Model # 217.59440 Starts, runs, stalls in high throttle??? Please help!

DX2R

I just received a 7hp ted williams #217.59440. I was told that it only starts in drive but I can start it in neutral. It starts, but idles a little rough and if I put it in gear and accelerate just a hair over the start position it runs fine, but when I try to accelerate past that it speeds up a little but seems to hesitate a bit, bogs down, then conks out. cranks right back up again and then the same thing happens again. I'm happy to know that the motor does run, but would like to have it running properly. Any knowledge on this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I just posted this in another place, bascially the same issue, be sure you getting good fuel delivery

Its just my mechanical opine but I know they always need timing sync from the brass butterfly rod bending outward over the years, basically they bend out enough that your butterfly is closed just a wee bit to much at start to draw fuel from the intemediate jet, all two stroke are real touchy about fuel & spark timing on startup , some other things to check, 1. the little filter screen basket and flapper behind the inlet plate & 2. pump element, 3. high speed and intermediate just behind the welch plug, 4. sync or ignition to spark timing, kitting the carb and a good tune up is a magic bullet for most servicable engines, AV 750s tend to have badly scored pistons in the old age, people fo;;ow poor advise to run lean oil mixtures and use water cooled outboard oil...wrong :(

Hey guys thanks for the prompt replies. after watching a few youtube vids on it I automatically asumed the duck bill may be torn and filter screen behind fuel inlets may be restricting fuel since it seems to either not get enough fuel or floods when I try to accelerate. I will take all information you guys have provided into account before I use this motor again and will post all updates on my progress. thanks again!

Back