Logo

setting points 1960 Evinrude Lark II 40 HP

chopped72

Replaced ignition components and want to confirm I set the points right before I torque down the flywheel. I lined up the "Top" mark on the cam with the rub portion of the point, and set to 0.020. Rotated the crankshaft 180 degrees and did the same for the other set of points. Is this right? The flywheel has the inspection/set window so I thought there may be another method.

Thanks

The best method is to use the timing marks on the magplate ( 2 vertical marks ) and the two marks on the flywheel.-------Search for ----franks tools ----using google -----He makes the special timing fixtures and gives you the low down on what is involved.---You can use your flywheel as well to use these marks.----Nothing like doing this in a world class way.

I'm Frank of frankstools. I don't know what world class means, but the timing fixture is the best way to set points and is what is recommended by OMC in their service manuals. It is also the easiest way to do it. Setting them at .020" with a feeler gage is what you do if you don't have the special tool. It will get them "close enough" but maybe not perfect. The tool gets them right on. Having said that, the "top" mark is to show which way goes up when installing the cam. When using a .020" feeler gage, have the shaft positioned to where the points gap is at maximum. Doing it through the window accomplishes that.

Back