Logo

"Clutch" slips

TVZ

My old (1960's?) Evinrude 9.5 has developed a problem of, when you speed up, you reach a point where it feels like a clutch slips, and you stop being propelled. You then throttle down, the "clutch" grabs hold, and you proceed. This happens every time you speed up to about 1/2 throttle. I know (or at least I think) that there is no clutch; but something is "slipping". What is it?
THANKS
-TVZ

There is a clutch dog and it could be jumping out of gear.-----------What does the oil look like when you drain it ?-Any fine bits of brass dust in there ?-------------Also it could be the prop itself slipping.----The prop has a rubber drive hub in it and with age it is no longer driving.-Try another prop.

If in the past the engine has functioned properly on the same boat, I would assume the propeller requires rehubbing or replacing.

There is a clutch dog and it could be jumping out of gear.-----------What does the oil look like when you drain it ?-Any fine bits of brass dust in there ?-------------Also it could be the prop itself slipping.----The prop has a rubber drive hub in it and with age it is no longer driving.-Try another prop.

Thanks Racerone. If the problem is the clutch dog causing it to jump out of gear, would it resume going in gear when I throttle down, or would I have to manipulate the shift lever?

I will have to get the motor from the lake to check the oil. (I'm not there now.) If there are bits of brass in it, does that mean the problem is the clutch dog, or the prop drive hub? Sorry--I'm brand new to outboards...

Sorry joereeves, I've been away from my computer today. I just picked this motor up a few weeks ago, and have used it a few times successfully on the same boat. Then my brother borrowed the boat & motor, and after that I found this problem. Not sure if it's a coincidence, or what...

If it seems to come back into gear without a 'jerk', I'd say it's the prop. If it was the dog slipping, when it re-engages, it would give you a bit of a jolt. I'd just try another prop.

You could try a used one like that, but you run the risk of getting a prop that needs re-hubbing too. Best bet, put a mark across the back of the prop, in line with the shear pin slot. Use a marker, file a small notch, whatever. Take it out and run it, let it slip or whatever it's doing, then pull the prop, and see if the mark is still in alignment with the slot, or however you marked it. At least that will tell you if your problem is the prop. If it is the prop slipping, and your prop is in good shape otherwise, I'd get yours fixed. Then you know you have a good one!!

Sounds like a great idea, Bill (little that I know about it). Just to be sure I understand--I just mark the prop in line w/ the shear pin; then run it til it does what it does; then look to see if the pin is still in line as it was? Where you said "then pull the prop, and see if the mark is still in alignment with the slot," you didn't mean I should remove the prop from the motor, did you?

However you want to mark it.. doesn't matter, as long as you can see if the outside of the prop is spinning in relation to the center hub of the prop.

Yup, I did the alignment test--It came out unaligned. So is "re-hubbing" I can do? Should I get it done at a boat repair place?

Nope, not a do it yourself project. Take it to a prop shop, I have no idea how much it's gonna cost you. Last one I had done here in Canada was $75, that was a prop for a 140 hp. At least you don't have to go tearing into the bottom end of the motor.

Back