Logo

alpha one, gen 1, joints keep coming apart

criscraftowner

got an 86 cris craft with a 305ci 200hp, with an alpha one, gen one, out drive.

ujoint popped apart, like a clip wasn't on right, and cap popped out.

so I installed new ujoints, ( been a mechanic for years, definitely had it put together right )
tested it out and all was well, so I took my kid tubbing, during a average turn 1/2 throttle, bam it comes apart again.

wondering, if anyone else has had this problem or heard of this problem?
if so any recommendation on how to fix this so it don't happen again?

tks for any info in advance!

This drive will be using the Spicer 5-1306-X bearing crosses, or similar in another brand. These are internally clipped.

Are you relaxing the bearing crosses after installation?

If either yoke or your center section has been twisted, this may cause the clips to dislodge.

Pull it back apart, and using a machinist's rule as a straight edge, check and see if the trunion bearing cap bores align with their corresponding bore.
The rule should lay perfectly parallel in the bores.

Attachments

• Twisted drive shaft yoke check.jpg
    Twisted drive shaft yoke check.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 37
This drive will be using the Spicer 5-1306-X bearing crosses, or similar in another brand. These are internally clipped.

Are you relaxing the bearing crosses after installation?

If either yoke or your center section has been twisted, this may cause the clips to dislodge.

Pull it back apart, and using a machinist's rule as a straight edge, check and see if the trunion bearing cap bores align with their corresponding bore.
The rule should lay perfectly parallel in the bores.

ok, had the right u joint, and relaxed crosses, but I will pull it n check for straightness, nothing else I can think of make sence.

thanks for the idea!

Last edited:
Start looking for play in the bell housing pivots and the gimbal ring pivot points. The geometry may be changing while underway. With the drive off put water to it and fire it up. Check the coupler for wobble while looking at it thru the gimbal bearing.

Back