Logo

Serial number location?

monstah

I have scoured the internet and searched over the entire surface of this engine and can not locate a serial number or data plate. It is a 1987 (I believe) Mercury 35 HP two cylinder, two stroke, electric start outboard. The only thing I found was a bar code label on the port side with "M 555 01730" on it. Other than that all of the other numbers look like individual part numbers. Is there an alternate spot where an ID number would be engraved on the engine, or if the data plate is gone am I up a creek?
Thanks,
Thad

cheers mate,got one of these plugs,but it seems to be plasticwas told that it was a 70hp when i bought it,took the carbs of,and they are dated 10/86 and wma6-1 and wma6-3, which i ges are a 50hp

I am Trying to ID my 35 H.P. engine as well.
The only numbers I could find on mine were on the previously mentioned plug.
Mine is 4966312.
Any help anyone can give me would be appreciated.

I'm not sure if the number identifies the engine as it is a replaceable plug.
There should be a stamped number somewhere on the block but I don't know where it is and this forum appears to be a ghost town.
Anyone know of another forum that has more activity on it?

This forum is not a ghost town.------When iffy information is provided it is hard to help folks.------Close as I can guess is that it is a 40 hp model of the 96 model year.----POST PICTURES OF MOTORS !---That always helps.

This forum is not a ghost town.------When iffy information is provided it is hard to help folks.------Close as I can guess is that it is a 40 hp model of the 96 model year.----POST PICTURES OF MOTORS !---That always helps.
If people are here they are obviously unwilling to help. Either way,this forum is crap and completely worthless to anyone asking a simple question.

Hey now Freddie, let's play nice, Racerone did respond to you trying to help, so you may want to try being a little nicer due to if you find yourself in need of some additional advice and you decide to stick around here for a bit, chances are or was he would be one of the many helpful knowledgeable members here that could guide in the direction to follow.

Such as this particular thread for example, It appears to me that Racerone was once once again correct in saying "iffy information" as I did a little investigating with the serial number you provided 4966312. Well that number did not appear correct to me so I switched the number 4 around with a letter A and came up with an engine model that makes more sense and fits the bill much better.

Using Serial number 0A966312, it comes up as an MERCURY - ( 35 H.P. (1986) 35 ELO Serial No: 0A966312 Model No: 1035716

And here is your parts catalog for this engine model,

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0A966312

Please if you find this information to be correct, please don't give me a thank you as it's not needed, I personally would rather see an apology to Racerone though. Thanks.:)

I have scoured the internet and searched over the entire surface of this engine and can not locate a serial number or data plate. It is a 1987 (I believe) Mercury 35 HP two cylinder, two stroke, electric start outboard. The only thing I found was a bar code label on the port side with "M 555 01730" on it. Other than that all of the other numbers look like individual part numbers. Is there an alternate spot where an ID number would be engraved on the engine, or if the data plate is gone am I up a creek?
Thanks,
Thad

got the same problem,seems no one wants to help
Have you guys found the information that you are in need of yet? It's hard to tell with all the mixed post going on. If either of you still need help with finding the engine year, just let me know and I will do my best to see if I can help out. And if I can't find the info, i'll let you know that I gave it a try.:cool:

P.S, monstah, The number M 555 01730 does not appear to be a serial number for a Mercury engine.

Here is a list of Mercury serial numbers to reference as a starting point for the 35 H.P, http://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/609764

?, Are you sure it a Mercury and not a FORCE?

this site is good,
still cant find my s/n,got the carbs back today from the merc dealers ,full refit,engine goes like a dream,that was the cab numbers wma6-1 and wma6-3

was told by the merc machanic it was a 40.hp,4 cyl,number on engine is 21537935, scotland
thanks

Back