Logo

Working on Chrysler 55 HP Outboard

powerwagon78

I'm working on my mother in law's chrysler 55 hp motor (guide says 1968-69) that is on a pontoon boat she got, and I was reading through this post. The other boat motors I have had were all tiller style, so I'm a little new to one like this, and just wondered if I'm not trying to start it wrong. I know I'm getting fuel to the carb, and I am working the choke manually, because I don't think it's working by pushing the key in like you are supposed to. Every now and then it will fire once or twice but won't actually run. The spark plugs have gas/oil on them, so I know that part is good. I have the motor in a trash can full of water, and am noticing there is actually some gas in the water now, so I wonder if the float ain't stuck open, but I figured it would at least try to run better than it is. The fuel bulb is holding good pressure also, so maybe the float ain't stuck?? I found the button on my controls to pull out and tried doing that to get it started, and it sputtered a few times but won't run. I was having someone else crank on while I was working the choke and the throttle by hand also, but can't get it to start, and am not sure what might be wrong...also, in another thread, I seen someone got a manual for this boat motor and was wondering where they got it downloaded from so I can get one too....thanks in advance!

Jeremy

First,do a compression test and then a spark test. The gas in the tank O water is normal. The carb's air screw should be set at 1 turn out for inital adjustment. Make sure the gas is fresh? There isin't any water in the tank? A quick shot of starting fluid might help. Don't use much as it strips the oil from the cylinders.

Sorry, it's been awhile since I got on here. I actually got it to run! I had to work the choke manually while someone else cranked it for me (using the cold start method you told me about it another post), and she fired right up! Seemed to run decent...won't idle yet, but after having set for 6 years, if all it needs is a carb kit I will be ok with that...also, I think the impeller is doing a decent job of moving water, but could probably do a little better, so I may replace it too if it ain't too hard...one thing of concern is that there is what smells like 80-90 oil in the water I had the motor sitting in...I'm assuming the fluid came out of the lower drive, but I never did put it in gear or anything, so I'm not sure why it would have leaked out??? Also, is there a seal or O-ring or something that typically goes bad that makes that lower drive oil leak out? I figured if I replace the impeller, I would go ahead and replace that too while I'm at it. Thanks!

Jeremy

The motor running in the tank will leave a residue of un-burned gas/oil.
The gears in the lower unit are always tuning when the motors running.
They just aren't engaged to the prop.
Drain the oil and check for water in the oil.
By all means change the impeller, it will only help.
IF??? You find water in the lower??? Then you need to pressure test the lower.
It could be the gaskets on the fill and drain plugs or the shaft seals??

Back