Logo

6v92ta wot

6vta

I have a pair of 6v92ta in my boat. I replaced throttle and shift cables and added a set to a lower station on my boat that had been disconnected. There are 2 identical stations on my boat and each cable runs back to the engine and transmission. I hadn't run the boat up to full throttle in some time and didn't check it before I installed the cables. Now the engines will only run up to about 1600 rpm under a load. There are a bunch of ajustment on each end of the cables. Before I start adjusting those is it ok to try and run the engine in neutral up to wot? I'd like to see if I could rule out any prop or bottom fouling before I start adjusting anything. So I quess I could have just asked is it ok to run them up with no load and if it is how long could I do it? Also is there a possibility of damage from doing such a test. These engines are very intimidating at wot the turbo's scream and the vibration is not for the weak of heart. Looking forward to any and all input. Thanks

These engines are VERY comfortable spinning at full fuel, no load or not. As a word of caution, the exhaust valves will begin to float somewhere north of 3.000rpm but I doubt your governors will let you get anywhere near that unless they were adjusted by a crazy man.
GO AHEAD and light em up! Won't hurt anything that hasn't been hurt already (like a cracked turbo wheel) except your ears.

jgmo.

Thanks for the reply I'm going to try and spin them up this afternoon and ill see if the throttle linkage needs to be adjusted. The goveners were set at 2250rpm last time I had them timed/tuned up. If it they spin up to that rpm ill start looking at the glennlenning syncro which has given me rpm problems in the past. Ill let you know how I make out.

Thanks.

Yes, they will run ALL DAY at 2250 and LIKE IT! Also, it sounds to me as if you are going about your business here in the proper manner. SO...
GOOD LUCK and I hope it turns out to be something cheap and simple......but.......it is a..... B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thousand....

But....
Good luck ANYWAY!

So I ran each engine up and found that the slave motor "port side " came up to 2350rpm. The lead engine " port side " would only come up to 1650rpm. I found that the full throttle stop in the lower station was holding back the cable from going to full throttle. Once I backed it off I got 2350rpm. The sncro automatically matches rpm set off the lead engine. The lead engine never got to full fuel so the slave couldn't match it. Tonight ill take her out and see how I do under a load.

Thanks Jmgo

Back