Logo

427 Ford (Chris Craft) - Edelbrock 1409 Carb.

Kpyto

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 1967 42' Chris Craft Commander with twin 427's. I am in the process of replacing the original Carter carbs with Edelbrock 1409's. Almost 100% done, but... I need to replace the fuel line - the original line is too short and on the wrong side - the 1409 has a connection on the side of the carb about 5 inches to the back of the carb than the original Carter carb. The original fuel line is 5/16", so I have purchased flexible copper tubing and re-created the original, along with the extra needed for the new connection point on the new carb. At the carb, I have used a 1/8" NTP to 5/16" compression adapter. All is good... Except...

I'm connecting to the original Carter fuel pump. I am unfamiliar with the compression fitting used on that end. I have the original nut used to connect the line to the fuel pump, but finding the ferrule is challenging. I tried using a standard brass ferrule, but it doesn't work. So... my question: Can someone tell me the type of fitting I need, and where I might be able to find one? I've attached a picture of the fitting that I'm connecting to. The picture is of the carb side, but it's the same on the fuel pump side.
photo.JPG
Thanks for any help!

C.
1967 42 Commander

The 1409 inlet should be a 3/8" inverted flare fitting...how you got a 1/8" NPT anything in there is worthy of ellaboration.

I would be inclined to use a similar type (FLARE) of fitting at the fuel pump if at all possible...with the original fuel pump being close to 50 years old, i'd really consider replacing it why you are working in that area...

You really don't want to use compression fitting on fuel lines on a boat...Ask a surveyor or an insurance investigator if you need further convincing

I see this thread is rather dated now so I assume you have the issue fixed.

If not, you can always go to an INBOARD RATED fuel hose instead of the hard fitting, as I have done on my 38 Commander with 427 power.

Edelbrock makes a nice banjo fitting that hooks to the carb directly and will accept the hose too.

The 1409 does not have a PCV fitting. Maybe the first series does, but the ones being sold over the last few years do not.
You can drill one, however, and here is my personal link for having done so........I don't think you will find this anywhere else on the net, I tried to find info before I did this job, and since I could not I decided I would photograph it and post it where other people could do it too. It works fine by the way.

Also please note the 1409 should not be pressurized over 5-psi. If you happen to go electic fuel delivery, Carter makes the perfect pump for this job and it does not need a pressure regulator.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1343278350/Edelbrock+1409+PCV+drilling+and+tapping

By posting this I am trying to be a contributor and to be helpful.
If this is breaking any rules here on this forum I do not intend to do that so administrator please let me know.
My intentions are to only help people and not raid another camp.

regards,

DS

Back