Logo

Liquid in engine Compartment: New Boat Owner and I am Clueless

brandonstephens

New user and boater here with 1988 Searay with Mercruiser 3.8.
It starts and runs. I bought it (my first boat) in May and I took it out a few times and all was fine. I recently took it out and it died and wouldn't come back.
I did hook it up to a water hose via a flusher today, made some adjustments to the idle mixture and it is back to starting and running but perhaps a little more rough...
I never noticed before but I have liquid of some kind, spewing into the engine via these PVC pipes that come from each side of the engine block. It is quite a bit, gassy smell. Is this normal, or is this a cut line of some kind?
I will post a few pics. One is with the flame arrestor/air filter looking thing and the rest are closeups. In one you can see the liquid on the engine block, but much more spews all over and down into the bilge pump area. If anyone can tell me what these tubes are and what they're for, awesome, and if they need fixing or if something else needs work as well.
Thanks a bunch.
Advice?
IMG_3457.jpgIMG_3460.jpgIMG_3461.JPGIMG_3462.JPGIMG_3463.JPGIMG_3465.JPG

those black hoses(corrugated plastic) go to a connector directing them into the flame arrestor. The vapor you see is combustion blow-by.
that motor is either a 5.0 or a 5.7 not a 3.8
Untitledaaa_zps6129935c.jpg

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply, you're right. I meant to put 4.3 on the engine size. When I had the flame arrestor off , and the engine was running, there is a lot of liquid spewing out of those corrugated tubes...smells like oil, maybe a little gass. It doesn't happen at idle but when I give it throttle, it does. Ideas?

Last edited:
Check the oil level...water intrusion in the oil raises the volume. The sludge I saw in the pic looked like chocolate oil slop mixed w/water. Blowby gases force the excess oil/slop out of the crankcase thru these vent hoses. The only thing that should come out of those hoses is water vapor on a cold engine and blowby gases at operating temp.

Thanks for checking in everyone. I replaced the spark plugs soon after I bought the boat. I do have the service manual for it. I will check the oil level, and I will also look into the foam cleaner for the carb.

The only engines I have seen that have that much blow by were in need of a complete rebuild. Do a compression test, that will tell you what you need to do.

Back