Logo

Bf200 Fuel Smell

I got the new O2 sensors and installed them today. I plan to run the boat tomorrow, probably 40 miles or so. That should give me an idea if they made any difference. I had the stbd engine showing the single flash when I shorted the red connector, and the port engine light just stayed on. I checked them both today after running it with the old sensors, and both engine lights stay solid. This was after a reset, then running 60 miles last weekend. I installed the new ones and reset again, so I am starting fresh tomorrow. I will check the lights with the jumper afterwards to see if there is any change or flashes.

Well, okay on the discussion of the HO2 sensors. Hopefully the replacements will fix the fuel economy issue. But I don't think that is addressing the raw fuel smell that started this thread. Since you eliminated that the smell is not coming from the exhausts, then there is a leak somewhere in the fuel distribution system before fuel is introduced into the cylinders. I just find it extremely odd that it is happening to both engines at the same time. Given that the smell is concentrated near the covers of the upper cowling bolts in the center of the cowling seam, the leak must be somewhere around the VST, HP filter, or HP fuel pump. Keep us posted on this mystery. I'm really curious as to what is causing it.

I plan to check for codes again this weekend now that I had a chance to run the boat with the new O2 sensors yesterday. It was rough so we did not cruise as normal, so I don't really have any idea if they helped the economy or not. I will post back once I have removed the cowlings to see if anything is going on back there. I hope to have someone prime the engines or cycle the key when I am looking at the rear, so I can see if there is any type of leaking going on. I did notice the smell again yesterday, so it is still there. I'll keep you posted as to what I find. It has me very curious as well, especially since I cannot see any leaks when I inspect it, and there is no liquid fuel present anywhere.

Back