Logo

1987 351 pcm no juice out of coil

shawn1

okay, I have power (over 13 volts ) leaving ignition. I have same running through entire system relay, 50 amp breaker, resistor, and 12.6 at coil. read somewhere that 12volt coil should be putting out 1400 to 1800 at center post where distributor wire connects. I'm at 1580. Now the question is, why am I not getting current over to distributor ? this problem started erratically two weeks ago, just stopping all power and dying. It would restart and run fine and just do it now and then. Now no ignition to distributor at all. last week ran fine for a few minutes till she got warm. Kinda like something was getting hot and shortly out but now has gone out all together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are talking volts, label them as such; same for ohms...

The voltage at the "+" terminal of the coil will vary depending upon the state of the points (assuming your distributor is still in stock configuration).

Ballast resistors are frequent causes for intermittent ignition issues...they are fairly cheap so you might want to start there...always a good idea to have a spare onboard, too.

Back