Logo

OMC 4.3L no crank/turn over

Neonzion

I believe it may have sat for 5 years. after a lot of work i removed the cobra outdrive. I removed all the spark plugs. i hotwired the starter and only here a "clang" which i read somewhere means the engine may be seized. people then say use a breaker bar to try to turn the engine over. i have no idea where to attach a break bar to. I took my socket wrench to the harmonic balancer and just ended up removing the bolt. how do i crank it over manually by hand, how do i know its seized, what should i do now?

I took my socket wrench to the harmonic balancer and just ended up removing the bolt.
then you were turning it backwards.

A strap wrench around the harmonic balancer is one way. I sometimes just grab the belts and roll mine by hand. Or I use a combination of socket on the front nut of the alternator and hand pressure on the belts.

If it's seized, all turning it will do at this point is break rings. You want to soak the cylinders for a day or two with Marvel Mystery Oil or your favourite penetrating oil.

Some folks have an old driveshaft from an outdrive that they use to turn it from the transom end.

Last edited:
i used sockets and belts like you said, the engine spun quite nicely actually. the starter still only clanks tho and doesnt turn it over by itself

im using my jeep while its on with a new battery so im getting a great source of power. i really dont have the money for a new starter now but would buying just the solenoid make a difference?

what costs nothing is to get some sandpaper and start cleaning all the high amp connections in the start circuit - cable ends on the starter, battery ends, and remove ground cable from block and sand everything shiny and reassemble tight.

Back