Logo

My first boat! 1987 Wellcraft 192 Classic with OMC Cobra 4.3L

Neonzion

Hey yall,
This is my first post and my first boat. I'm 19 and work with engines and vehicles for a couple years. I bought an 87 Wellcraft 192 Classic with a OMC cobra 4.3L for $100! Last time it was registered was in 2008 so there is a possibility it hasn't ran since. I've worked on newer 4.3L engines on s10's but never a carb or just a boat. The "body" (dont know much boat terminology) is in decent condition but the engine and outdrive are pretty rusty and nasty. Under the valve cover, the rockers, lifters, rods, head/etc look pretty clean. I hooked up a battery and to my surprise the radio started playing, there are switches by the gauges and they light up when switched but the only the blower seems to run when i switch it on. I have very little money and if the engine is beyond cheap repair, I will scrap the engine so before i spend more than $20 on anything, i want to start the engine. All the fuel hoses to the engine have been cut and i dont know where they go. I also dont have the keys. I tried to start it by hooked up the battery and the coil positive to the positive on the battery but nothing happened. Is the starter dead? I will buy a muff soon, but I want to AT LEAST have the engine turn over. How do I start this old rusty 4.3.

Thanks!

update: I hotwired the starter after watching some videos, and now i get a loud click/clang sound from the starter. the engine still didnt turn over yet.

is pulling the drive out difficult? justa couple bolts? ill take out all the spark plugs but why would i need to install an impeller? doesnt it already have that? i have an original wellcraft manual but its not very specific and hardly any help. so with the starter making a clanging sound, after remove the impeller and spark plugs, would it crank then?

easier said than done. i just want to get it running, its just a family project, the nice spark plug pull and clean heads give me faith. I plan on removing the drive, pull spark plugs, and then hot wiring the starter again.

Back