Logo

Power Pack Capability

the_dieckhaus

Hey, new to the forum and was hoping I could get some help on this topic.
Basically the power pack on my 1971 Mercury 200 2o hp pull start with tiller arm has gone out. I need to know if the power pack from a late 60's model merc 200 man. start tiller arm basically the exact same just a difference of half a decade or more. Unfortunately the label to my power pack is completely worn down so I have no idea what the part # is.
Any input helps thanks a ton.

Hard to say. I would not risk killing the powerhead or power pack on a guess. CDI will have the parts you need at a reasonable price. Are you sure that the power pack is the issue? What shape are the points in? Guessing gets costly fast

We need to start by getting the terms correctly here so that we can figure out exactly what you are looking to replace.

A 1971 model 200 did not have a "power pack". It utilized a "Phase Maker" (thunderbolt 2) ignition that was composed of a stator (two coils under the flywheel), a capacitor and a set of points that fed ignition coils (2) that powered the sparkplugs (no switch box, no power pack).

The 1969 and earlier model 200's used a "Phelon" ignition system. And while it appears somewhat the same as the Phase Maker (basically the same components) they will not interchange with each other.

So exactly what component are you looking to replace??

(edit - should have added - IF your motor has a "power pack" (that's an OMC term - Merc's have "switch boxes") then your motor is no older than 1973. In 73 Merc changed the ignition on the 20 horse (model 200) from the Phase Maker to the Thunderbolt 4 (which was brand new) and was in fact introduced on the 20 horse. By 1975 the new ignition was standard kit on all Merc's from 7.5 to 40 horses...)

Last edited:
Back