Logo

Tilt tube BF30A 97'

yama2323

Aloha all from Hawaii. Ready to replace my tilt tube. One question, is there a nylon insert in the stern bracket I should watch out for when tapping out the tube? Hopefully the tube comes out easy. Any suggestions or cautions I should beware of? If tube is stuck, what's the best way to get it out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!!!

As you can see, there are only wave washers and nuts at each end. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/1998/BF30AW%20LRSA%20/STERN%20BRACKET/parts.html

I would soak it generously with PB Blaster and let it soak in before you even start.

You did not say whether it was on or off the boat. If it is on, you should loosen one side of the stern bracket and be sure to support the engine in a way that you will be able to move it some to help release some of the binding that will occur.

If it is really bad, you may have to put some heat to the stern brackets, but try without it first.

When you drive it out, use a rubber mallet of block of wood, so you do not enlarge the end of the tube, thus, making it impossible to get out.

Just take your time and do it safely.

Hope that helps some.

Mike

Aloha Mike, it has been a while. Yes, took a look at boats.net and seen only the nut and washer. Does the nut have to be replaced? I know a few people that used it twice. What would you recommend. Also, yes the motor is on the boat. It is the port side tube needs to be changed. One side of the threads is rusted out. I will be using a lift for this. I have the lift for another reason, which is installing my Teleflex rotary steering cable. So, killing two birds with one stone. I am hoping the tube comes out pretty easily. Well, I will try this and will let you know the outcome. Thanks again for the information. Aloha, Terence

Back