Logo

1987 evinrude 70hp VO wont start

geesbees

Good evening everyone. Im new to your forum and look forward to asking some questions. I just purchased a boat with a 1987 evinrude 70hp VRO outboard on it. I paid $600 for the boat motor and trailer and will drive my wife nucking futs until she allows me to "pimp my ride", or at least get it river ready. The guy I bought it from fell on hard times and is a good friend of mine. He told me that (1) yr ago, he had the hose hooked up on the motor and had it purring like a kitten, then he said, "it was like someone just turned off the key", and the motor shut off and hasn't ran since. I was relieved today when I made the cable connections to the charged battery and the motor turned over, but would never fire. Cleaned the plugs (they were already carbon free), hit some starter fluid in all (3) of the carbs and it never fired, but at least she spun. It got dark, and I live in Central Florida, so mosquitos keep the back yard, amateur mechanic from working much after dark.
If you have any suggestions as to where you would start your troubleshooting on this, I would appreciate any info that you may have under your hat. Im pretty tool/mechanics savy, and this was purchased as my mid-life project that I can enjoy and be proud of for many years to come! I had an E-Tek 115hp on a newer pontoon boat that I sold before work brought me to Florida, but now that Im here, I could definitely utilize a good boat!
Thank you guys, and I look forward to running some things by you!

With s/plugs removed, check the spark... should jump a 7/16" gap. Does it?

Compression... what is the reading of all individual cylinders? 100+ psi and even?

If you have spark & compression, the usual problem is fouled carburetors.

Let us know what you find.

Back