Logo

Do I need "marine oil" or is this oil ok for my Honda BF30...

You don't need to use synthetic oil and in most cases, Honda doesn't specify synthetic. A brand name, conventional, 4 stroke oil with the current API service rating of SN will provide all the protection your engine requires.

royal purple is an EXCELLENT performance oil. it is a bit pricer......but by all means, I'd use it in a heart beat. i currently use it in my race car, and both of my boat motors. i love the stuff. i use to be a big mobil 1 fanatic. royal purple is now my oil of choice.

If the motor is still under warranty....definitely, do not use synthetic oil..

If it is no longer in warranty and you want to use synthetic, I would not use it until you have around 1000 hours on the motor....Royal Purple does have a good reputation, so I am not putting that down at all.

I am with Jimmy, the standard oil is what Honda recommends and I would stay with that.

This will probably start the Synthetic/non synthetic debate again.

Here is a link to an interesting discussion on the subject....be sure to read all the way to the end. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...tic-oil-2007-115-hp&highlight=honda+synthetic

Mike

Last edited:
I use FW-C synthetic in my Honda. Not only does it meet Honda requirements, the motor is ticking right along 10 years after the change over (at 150 hrs) ...

Back