Logo

Chrysler 440ci 330 hp question

mwerneke

I have purchased a Century Coronado Cardel 1984. The engine is a chrysler 440 330 hp. Compressions are all 135 range. My question is what is the max rpm for the boat and motor? I can only obtain at full throttle 3500 rpm and 35 mph(verified by GPS). It has a Federal 14 in 16 pitch prop. Seems to me the boat should preform at higher speeds and rpm's than that? Prop looks to be in good shape, no dings or scars. Thanks Matt

I agree--it should rev to at least 4,500 rpms

First thing to do is obtain an indicating timing light and check the spark advance--it may be hanging up on you. If it's correct at idle but doesn't make at least 25 - 28 degrees full advance, there's the problem. (Sticking advance mechanisms are common on Mopars.)

Give that a shot and get back to us.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I will give info to my mechanic, I'm not real mechanically inclined. The engine had freshly replaced head gaskets, I had them preform compression's before drove 1100 miles to look at it. It had a blown gasket and both were replaced. In my simple mind, I'm thinking maybe the linkage for the throttle was not set correct? gonna go check that out tonight. I will get back when I get to the solution. Matt

..." I'm thinking maybe the linkage for the throttle was not set correct"

Could be. (Always check out the simple things first.) If the secondaries on that 4 barrel weren't opening...

Jeff

I have a Century Arabian with the same engine, and I had a similar problem. About 3600 rpm max. I changed the prop from a 14 x 17 to a 14 x 16 with little improvement. In the end, I determined that the rpm would increase if I kept the carb only 90% open. I then noticed a tab on the carb's secondary linkage that can be adjusted (Bent) to limit the amount the secondary butterflies can open. After a couple of tests I found a adjustment point that was best, and I now get about 4200 rpm. The old marine AFB does not have the "air valve" butterflies, and is a pure mechanical secondary carb. I might add that the boat operates at 5000 feet elevation.

Thank you all for your comments. Had my marine mechanic out today. He knew right away that it was running only on 6 cylinders, he checked the spark plug wires with the distributor cap, set them on correctly , then out to the lake we went, and wallah, 4300 rpm's and 41 mph, he also checked to make sure my RPM gauge was correct and fuel pressure was correct, changed oil, and luckly, very lucky added almost a quart and half of trany fluid. Think I keep my day job. Thanks for all the responses. Matt

Back