Logo

Alpha one wont go into any gear after impeller replacement

I just installed a new impeller. could not get the lower unit back into the upper unit so I took the upper unit off. got the lower and upper together off the boat. Slid the whole outdrive into the boat with propeller locked in forward gear and the stern lever in forward as well. Boat starts and runs fine but will not shift into forward or reverse. It is in neutral constantly. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks to kghost via e-mail I got it! Multiple things wrong. My prop must have slipped out of gear when I installed the lower to the upper so when I installed the outdrive viola no gears! (GO VERY SLOW AND METHODICAL WITH THE CONECTION OF THE LOWER TO THE UPPER AND THE CONNECTION OF THE OUTDRIVE. IT CAN SLIP OUT OF GEAR WITH THE SLIGHTEST TURN IN THE WRONG DIRECTION) ***VERY IMPORTANT TO MAKE IT EASIER TO STAY IN GEAR*** - I used a bungee cord this time to hold the prop in forward and it went much easier. Next just by chance before I installed the outdrive this time I took apart the shift cable both on the fork and on the engine. The inner cord in the slip shifter fork was fine but in the engine the inner cable had slipped out of the screws on the lower or reverse and frayed a little. Not sure what I would have done if I would have installed it and then had forward and no reverse! I just clipped a quarter inch off the cable, cleaned it all up, inserted the cable and screwed it in tight again. Installed the outdrive, hooked up the muffs and I have gears again! Impeller is working well and temp is down where it should be. It is a little rough going into both forward and reverse so I am going to adjust the gear cables per specs and hope for the best. Thanks again for the walk through kghost I really appreciate it!

Back