Logo

Questions about how lower shift cable on 1988 alpha one gen one

1973 Browning Marine

Regular Contributor
Posted awhile back and never found time to try and resolve issue with shift interrupt and adjustments. Spent the entire day following kghost instructions in the archives that I had previously asked about. The shift interrupt switch is indeed working. The boat does not cut out going into reverse. The lower shift cable moves freely and selects forward and reverse. I found that the stud that the lower shift cable end attaches to had loosened and moved from it's previous position throwing everything out of adjustment, function,etc. Went through the old post and methodically followed the steps that kghost had previously took the time and effort to type out for me. (Thank you!) Anyways, Ran boat on trailer and was able to shift into both forward and reverse gears with no problems. The thing that confuses me is that the spring loaded interrupt switch thrower does not seem to be moving. It has been awhile so forgive me. Does it only move under load and in the water? How do I know if it is working correctly? My original post about a month or so ago had to do with having trouble coming out of gear and finding neutral. It was going from say forward, skipping past neutral and into reverse because of the loosened stud I mentioned. Is there anything else I could do to ensure that I am close to adjustment before going out on the water? Just don't want to drive all the way down to jersey and find out it is still not right. Anybody have any suggestions on what I could do to ensure it is right? Oh yeah, I am getting full engagement with absolutely no clicking or clunking or any of that nonsense if that helps. Thanks guys, Tom

Back