Logo

1997 5.7L Merc EFI turns over but no spark. HELP!

elvaktran

Hi, I have a Bayliner Ciera 2455 with a 1997 5.7L EFI and I have one kind of a problem here with the engine, couple of weeks ago it started no problems at all, then yesterday I was getting ready to go to the lake and when I put the muffles and try to start the engine it turns over but does not start. So there I started TS with my limited knowledge....and here's what I got....

Engine turns over.
NO attempt to start at all.
checked 12 volts to the IGN COIL good.
NO spark out of the Coil while cranking.
attemped to crank it playing with the shift stick(just in case the "cut out switch" is bad)... nothing happened.
Open Distributor cap and cleaned some corrosion on the rotor cap and a little bit on the pick up coil...nothing.
checked ECM plugs for faulty connections....nothing.

I know there's a lot to TS but to tell you the truth that's a brand spanking new engine that I haven't put on the water yet, and IT started good a couple of weeks ago... I guess it got to be something fairly easy but getting with the problem IS a problem and I'm kind out of bullets on this one...

I will really appreciate the help, thanks in advance!

Will

If the items BT identified, you'll need to ID the type of distributor you have to further diagnose the No Spark condition...

is it the factory setup? might be easier if you get your serial number and look up the distributor type using the parts list at the top of the page...suspect it is a thunderbolt-iv type and those troubleshooting steps have been posted many times on this forum...if it is the TBOLT-IV type, you can search this forum and find them.

Testsfor Thunderbolt IV Ignition:
W/ignition key on AND BILGE WELL VENTILATED OF GAS FUMES!!!

#1 - Connect your voltmeter neg. lead to the engine ground and pos. lead to thewhite/red wire terminal at the dist. It should read 12 volts.

#2 - If 12 volts is present, remove the coil spark wire from the distributorand connect it to a spark gap tester to ground. Remove the white/green leadfrom the dist. terminal. Turn the ign. key to on and strike the white/greenlead to ground. If there is spark, replace the ignition sensor in the dist.

#3 - If there is no spark, substitute a new coil and repeat test #2. Now if youget spark, install a new coil. NO SPARK, replace ign. amp.

#4 - In #2, if there is No voltage present, disconnect the white/red wire and checkit again for 12 volts. If 12 volts is present, replace the ignition sensorinside the dist. cap. If no 12 volts present w/it disconnected--ignitionamplifier is shot and must be replaced

Looking in the manual,

It appears the Thunderbolt IV and V are for carbed models

EFI uses a HEI with a pick up and module in the distributor......

From what I remember try this,

pull the distributor cap off, look at the module, rotor etc.

if you see corrosion at the module it should be replaced.

I believe there is a reluctor but that requires distributor removal and dissasmbly.....You would need the test proceedure for testing the reluctor.

Reluctor = 8 pointed pick up.

Back