Logo

1993 OMC Cobra leak found.

Scrid

Hi Guys,
I recently noticed extra water in my my bilge on my 1993 Sunbird 4.3 Cobra.
It seems the water would come in when underway and not beached.
Cleaned and dried the bilge out and tested it in the driveway with muffs and could not get a leak to present itself.
Took the boat out again last Wednesday and saw a small trickle coming straight down from the lower center of the gimbal mount.
13 years ago I pulled the engine and drive and replaced the rotton transom, foam rope seal, gimbal bearing, seal, bellows, gaskets.
I was hoping the transom rope seal wasn't leaking again as it was not a fun job.
Well I did some further looking and found a small hole in the bellows on the right side looks to be caused from rubbing on the front bellows hose clamp.
Is that a common problem with the hose clamp causing a hole in the bellows?
When I did the repairs 13 years ago I followed my OEM service manual to the T and positioned the hose clamp in between the 1 and 2 - o'clock position as it recommended.
I ordered a new gimbal bearing, seal, bellows and gasket set to do the repair again soon.
In the mean time I still want to use the boat until the parts show up next week.
I bent a piece of 3/16: brake line tubing the right way and hooked it up to my brake vacuum bleeder.
Stuck it in the bellows hole towards the bottom and sucked out about 3 cups of river water.
I could actually get my hand up in there and then I cleaned the hole area on the bellows with brake cleaner, then applied 3 coats of plumbers goop over the hole.
Then I greased the heck out of the gimbal bearing.
I did this same temporary repair on a small split on my transom inlet water hose last week.
Took the boat out and found out that the goop stayed on the hose and sealed the split without coming off.
I have that new hose as well but will install it when I do the bellows.
Do you guys think I could run the boat like this until I get my parts in the mail for a couple trips on the river?
I pull my boat out every time when were done boating so it is not in a slip and always exposed to water.
Thanks.
Chris

Last edited:
Back