Logo

Can't get out of gear

Docked

I have a 1990 Sunbird 228 Barletta with a 5.7 OMC engine and I'm having trouble getting the engine in neutral. I have adjusted the shift cables to make sure the interrupter switch was properly aligned and even replaced the switch. Once I did all that it seemed to fix the problem, but after 30 min of running it does it again and I can't get it out of gear unless I quickly killed the engine by turning on and off the key. I then manually tripped the Interrupter Switch at the engine and got it to work by jiggling the wire harness. So, I cleaned all the connections and that worked for about 1-2 hours. It started to do it again, I repeated the cleaning process and I cannot get it to work unless it sits for a while or cools down...does this sound like a ground issue?

Welcome aboard !

So you say the micro switch's are not sticking and fall into the proper spots ?

There is a ground wire from a stud on the bell housing to the bracket the micro's are mounted to.

The esa acting up maybe. Electronic shift assist module, the computer looking thing that's mounted on a bracket the micro's plug into.

You changed out the points dist for new latter model maybe, with no points ?

Cause the engine oem came with a points dist.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply!

Yes, the switch is not sticking and falls into the proper spots. I will check the ground. I have not owned the boat very long so I am not sure about the distributor...if it was changed would that cause the electrical issues I'm having? If it's not the ground or dist would you recommend changing the shift assist module?
[h=1][/h]

What rpm's are you running at? In the water.Should be 500-600. Start motor. Back at the micro switch. Try moving the shift arm and activate the switch. Then if it's not right make sure the pins in the ampenol connectors are making contact.

Checked the distributor...it is the original w/ points looked good.... cleaned the connections and the main ground, it seemed to work! Although, it happened once in 2 hours of boating...RPMs are 500-600 in the water at start....I am going to try a more thorough ground cleaning today....any other thoughts??

Jerry is giving you good advice here re: idle RPM.

With a Dog Clutch drive, the dog teeth will want to remain engaged as long as there is prop thrust against the water.
The ESA's job is to momentarily lower engine RPM (during this shift), in order to reduce this prop thrust allowing the Dog Teeth to separate and go into Neutral.

Shifts must be made quickly and decisively... and with no fooling around with slow shifts..... although your issue doesn't fall into this category.

I'd first check your idle RPM.
Then move on to the micro switch adjustment and function.

Still no good....... then make sure that the cable adjustment while in NEUTRAL is centering the Dog Clutch "sliding sleeve" equally between the two driven gears.
That is the ultimate goal when adjusting this.

I've seen micro switch's torqued down they jammed the button so it could move.

I've seen bad connections in the switch, where i had to get a new one.

I've seen bad plugs to the esa .

It all has to be looked at.

I cleaned all the connectors including the ground and lowered the Idle to below 600 and it seem to do the trick! Thank you everyone for your help!

I have an '87 4.3 and have learned a great deal about the shift adjustments, switches, points adjusting & ESA. Had it shifting in and out of gear and into reverse and neutral, now it seems the ESA has packed it in, I will test the switches first.

My question: I read online there is a Kit that upgrades the ignition to Electronic with more powerful coil and has a new & better ESA, has anyone heard about this? I would be grateful for tips & info.

Thanks,

Back