Logo

Looking to build new motor

Lancerblue

I have a 307 glv in my 19' lancer and want more power. I have a spare 327 automotive block that I'd like to build. I also have a pair of 350q heads that I'd like to use on the 327 block. I know the 327 block can provide lots of power and is a good choice for marine applications. My question is whether the 350 heads can be used with a 327 block. My goal is to get 300-325 hp.

I have a 307 glv in my 19' lancer and want more power. I have a spare 327 automotive block that I'd like to build. I also have a pair of 350q heads that I'd like to use on the 327 block. I know the 327 block can provide lots of power and is a good choice for marine applications.
I'd have to disagree here. First and foremost...... all 327's are small journal crankshafts.
This day and age, you'll do much better w/ a 5.7L for a SBC Marine engine.

My question is whether the 350 heads can be used with a 327 block.
The 5.7L cylinder heads will certainly bolt on, but be careful when mixing/matching components.
You've got cylinder head combustion chamber volume, and piston selection that both must be considered.
Both of these will influence your Static C/R.

My goal is to get 300-325 hp.
300/325 hp is possible in the 327 Auto Version, but your Static C/R may be reaching our SBC Marine limits while being used for Marine loads.

I would sell the 327.... (there may be a good market for one via the car restoration crowd) and build a 5.7L using a piston that will give you a quench style combustion chamber. You'll reach your 300 hp that you want, and you'll gain on torque with a quench build.

What Rick said. If you use old technology, you will get old style results. Using a modern 350 with modern heads etc, will give you more horsepower, better mileage, and better reliability.

Back