Logo

crusader 220 fuel pump replaced - question

juryduty

I had fuel in the clear tube so got a new fuel pump in the mail. Tonight I installed it. A couple of odd things happened, just wondered if they are normal. I could not get "behind" the pushrod without removing the plate that holds it up. I removed the plate, *plink* out comes the rod and about a 1/4 cup of oil. I wiped it off good, slathered some lithium grease on it, and shoved it back up the hole. It held up high long enough for me to reinstall the plate and new pump. Had to quit for the night, will start it up tomorrow.

2 questions:

- Is it ok that there is not any oil at the bottom of the pushrod. Should I squirt some oil in there before starting or just fire it up.

- The fuel pump has this 'paper thin' gasket. The new pump came with like 4 of them, wasn't sure why? So I just used 1 since the old pump had just 1. After fully tightening the pump, however, it does not look like the top of the pump seals very well, it is touching the gasket, but does not look super tight. I looked at the old gasket and it does not seem to have been tight at the top either... is it going to blow oil all over, or ok?

Thanks for any help...

fuelpump.jpg

2 questions:

1- Is it ok that there is not any oil at the bottom of the pushrod. Should I squirt some oil in there before starting or just fire it up.

2- The fuel pump has this 'paper thin' gasket. The new pump came with like 4 of them, wasn't sure why? So I just used 1 since the old pump had just 1. After fully tightening the pump, however, it does not look like the top of the pump seals very well, it is touching the gasket, but does not look super tight. I looked at the old gasket and it does not seem to have been tight at the top either... is it going to blow oil all over, or ok?

View attachment 7455

1- No need to lube it..... this area will become oil wet soon after the engine fires up.

2- Pick up a thicker gasket from an auto parts store, or double up with two thinner gaskets, but use a small amount of sealant between them.
If you get a good seal, it will hold just fine.

Well crap looks like the fuel pump pushrod got bent anyway! I *swore* the rod was pushed up but I guess it was not. I was able to pull the rod out (below is a picture). It does not look like the pump was damaged.

Picking a new one at Autozone tomorrow, hoping there was no other damage?

Is there a better trick to make sure the rod stays up?

bent.jpg

I used a heavy grease like used in wheel bearings, its sticky enough to hold the rod but will go right away when you start it up.

The grease trick works well when nothing is oily. An oil film will usually prevent the grease from holding the rod up.

If this is an early SBC, pull this bolt out, and temporarily install a longer bolt that will stop/hold the push rod up while you insert the fuel pump arm.

NOTE: if this bolt hole is now open, and if oil is not leaking from the hole, the above will not work.

Attachments

• SBC block view fuel pump rod.jpg
    SBC block view fuel pump rod.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 84
The other "trick" is to spin the engine over, by hand, and make sure the rod is at the "low spot" on the cam before you try installing the pump...no point in working hard than you have to.

I need a fuel pump for my 220 Crusader (84 carver riviera). Can I buy one at the car parts store? If so do you have the model number?

as a general rule you are highly unlikely to find the CORRECT parts for your marine engine at the auto parts store whenever it comes to anything FUEL or ELECTRICAL...that said, where the market supports it, some auto parts stores will offer you marine rated parts. Don't let any counter jockey tell you the auto parts are "just fine" for use in your boat...if you don't believe me, ask your insurance agent...

Back