Logo

'89 force 35 hp fuel pump gasket leaks

Mjmcdowell74

I just replaced a failed fuel pump gasket with new gasket and diaphragm on my '89 force outboard. The new gasket fixed the leak from the failure on the left, but now I've a bad seal on the right and am leaking gas into the engine compartment towards the starter. The pump mounts onto what looks like a spacer piece (don't know what it's called because it doesn't show up on any of the parts diagrams) that's about 1/2 " thick, made of a black composite, and is the same shape as the "8" shaped diaphragm. The fuel pump mounting screws go through this piece and into the power head. This part looks fine to my novice eyes, but I wonder if it's warped thereby causing a leak.

Are there any tricks to replacing gaskets that I've missed? Does anyone know what the black spacer piece between the pump and the power head is called so I can look up the part?

thanks

It's called GASKET FUEL PUMP SPACER. Over tightening, or under tightening, can cause the leak. Try a bit of fuel proof sealer on the gasket. The gasket needs to be dry when you apply or it won't work. Oh yea DON'T loose it s they don't make it anymore.

Back