Logo

70 hp Johnson gear selection

RGP

Regular Contributor
1976 Johnson 70 hp. When single lever period correct control handle is shifted into forward, you get reverse gear. Neutral position is neutral at the prop and...reverse at the controls gives forward at the prop. Throttle works fine as does warm up lever.

Shifting into forward shortens cable, reverse lengthens cable. Cable is good at motor connection.

Shift rod: I need help with this part. Lifting shift rod should give forward or reverse?

On this motor lifting shift rod is resulting in Reverse. Pushing shift rod down, gives forward.

Finally, if you're still following this, shortening cable (select forward at control) pushes shift shaft forward, causing shift rod connector to pivot up, which in turn lifts shift rod, and voila........ reverse!

Is this the wrong control box? Do some of them lengthen cable for forward selection?

Is the lower unit messed up?

Is the shift rod connector at the shift shaft out of position by 180 degrees ?

Am I going bonkers?

It is not the wrong control box !!--You have the wrong lower unit !----There was a change made in that year and study the parts books for the 2 different lower units to see the difference.----It is actuually a simple fiix too.

You have an early motor with a later lower unit -----OR ----you have a later motor with an early lower unit.------Looking at the motor it can be diagnosed in less than a minute.-----After locating the needed parts it can be corrected in less than 1/2 hr.

Thanks racerone. You nailed it. Later motor, early L/U.

It's almost like you've worked on outboards before.

Thanks a ton.

It is not the wrong control box !!--You have the wrong lower unit !----There was a change made in that year and study the parts books for the 2 different lower units to see the difference.----It is actuually a simple fiix too.

Hi Racerone my name is Iafet i have this problem boat on reverse with forward command on I was wondering if I can simply modify the control to push down the gears road using the lower unit as is i don't see other inexpensive solution can you help?
Many thanks

The correction is not done in the control box !----It is done on the motor.-------Look up the difference in linkage parts on a 74 model and a 77 model.

Back