Logo

Impeller re-installation update/issues

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Hey guys.

You fellers are that good that I decided to hit you up for advice again. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series.

I just replaced the impeller that I ordered from your site, did it by the book/videos y'all sent me, put dish soap on impellor, shaft, housing, etc. Although I used a broken thermostat, I putter back together, and ran it in a bucket of water.

As usual, she ran with the first pull. However, I read somewhere that running the impeller with no water can quickly damage it. So, started it up, and let it idle for about 20 seconds and I seen no spout coming out of the spit hole. I kept my hand on next to the spark plug area to see if if got to hot, and it never (only going for 20 seconds), just got a tad bit warmer. I only kept it going for 20 secs because I'm afraid to damage something.

So, is it normal for there not to be a spout for about 20 seconds of running after installing the impeller?

Am I doing something wrong at all?

Can I damage it by doing this without a working thermostat?

Can I damage it by doing this by simply waiting for the spout to come out?

How long should I run it to see if the spout starts without doing any damage?

Should I not even attempt this without having a working thermostat?

Once again, this dumb fisherman is stuck, worried, and needs help.

P.S. quahogs are a hard shelled clam that peter griffin's town is named after (you know, family guy). It's Rhode Island's main fishery (Mine is actually squid and shrimp, but I do okay with quahogs).

Thanks in advance.

Robby

Hey guys.

You fellers are that good that I decided to hit you up for advice again. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series.

I just replaced the impeller that I ordered from your site, did it by the book/videos y'all sent me, put dish soap on impellor, shaft, housing, etc. Although I used a broken thermostat, I putter back together, and ran it in a bucket of water.

As usual, she ran with the first pull. However, I read somewhere that running the impeller with no water can quickly damage it. So, started it up, and let it idle for about 20 seconds and I seen no spout coming out of the spit hole. I kept my hand on next to the spark plug area to see if if got to hot, and it never (only going for 20 seconds), just got a tad bit warmer. I only kept it going for 20 secs because I'm afraid to damage something.

So, is it normal for there not to be a spout for about 20 seconds of running after installing the impeller?

Am I doing something wrong at all?

Can I damage it by doing this without a working thermostat?

Can I damage it by doing this by simply waiting for the spout to come out?

How long should I run it to see if the spout starts without doing any damage?

Should I not even attempt this without having a working thermostat?

Once again, this dumb fisherman is stuck, worried, and needs help.

P.S. quahogs are a hard shelled clam that peter griffin's town is named after (you know, family guy). It's Rhode Island's main fishery (Mine is actually squid and shrimp, but I do okay with quahogs).

Thanks in advance.

Robby

Common guys, gimme a hand here.

Always run with/in water otherwise the impeller will be destroyed. Water might not come out of the tell tale until the thermostat opens.
Shellfish,now I could live with that.

Always run with/in water otherwise the impeller will be destroyed. Water might not come out of the tell tale until the thermostat opens.
Shellfish,now I could live with that.

What if my thermostat is broken, will water still come out of the whole? Should I run it with a bad thermostat to see if water comes out? Can I do damage running it with no thermostat until the water comes out just not enough for the block to get hot?

Thanks for all your help.

RObby

What if my thermostat is broken, will water still come out of the whole? Should I run it with a bad thermostat to see if water comes out? Can I do damage running it with no thermostat until the water comes out just not enough for the block to get hot?

Thanks for all your help.

RObby

Is the thermostat stuck open or closed? You won't do any damage running for awhile with no thermostat or with a thermostat stuck open. You will overheat with a thermostat stuck closed - although not in 20 seconds. (damn, still no carriage return) Based on my '82 30 HP, which is somewhat similar, you should get water from the tell-tale almost immediately (for sure sooner than 20 seconds) upon start up - regardless of the thermostat situation (open/closed/none). You may have a clog, water tube not connected or a faulty impeller (yeah, I've had one bad one right out of the box - the metal bushing was cracked :( ). I'd take the LU down and, while it's down, squirt some water up the water tube and through the thermostat openings to see if the water will circulate. Then re-assemble, making sure the water tube is lined up correctly. Oh yeah, take a close look at the impeller while you are at it.

Don't want to assume anything; was the water above the intake screens? You might need to remove the lower unit again, and check to see if the water tube is lined up, as Minuteman said. It may take a little longer than 20 sec. to come out the tell-tale.

Back