Logo

Marine Power - Overall Quality

MC1600

Hey guys! So I've been lurking on here for a bit trying to gather as much info as I can on Marine Power rebuilds. I found a ton of information on one issue or another, but to me, they all look like issues I had with my old '05 350 Mag, or most any other boat motor for that matter.

We're getting ready to look at a boat in a week that was repowered with Marine Power 5.7's (out of the box) back in 2007. They don't even have 100 hours on them yet. To me, an idle motor can be just as problematic as an abused motor, but I'm curious about the overall quality of the Marine Power motors. Should this affect my pricing of the boat? Should I value original motors that have been rebuilt higher (Chrysler 426's)? Am I better looking for a boat with motors from a manufacturer?

Thanks in advance!

They are GM based engines and the OEM hasn't done anything "stupid" that I know of...Some don't think their exhaust systems are on par with the competition but I have found them serviceable.

2X on the sitting motor ...

The price will (should) be set more by the condition of the whole package vs the decals...original or replaced - that will be driven by what you want and the thickness of your wallet...given a choice, you can usually go for "old school" or modern technology in most popular hulls, especially in today's market

Thanks mako! Am I to understand your last comment to mean that "modern technology" is not necessarily better than "old school" and to focus more on the best overall package? IE, I might better off going with a boat with older motors that have been cared for and used versus new 6-year old motors that have sat?

We're looking at different packages than the last boat we owned, so some of this is new to me.

Lack of finding documentation and or service/repair information is one knock against a MP engines. They just do not have the volume other makes do. In addition, lack of response from MP, (asked them for a "build spec sheet) and lack of CS/support, etc. Just lack of overall information to help you down the road is my concern with them. (fyi: I am on this site to get help with a non-running MP engine) Lots of info out there on web on PCM, Indmar, Volvo, Mercury, etc. etc.

Any decent marine mechanic should be able to check your potential purchase out and test it for soundness. Buying any used engine or craft should be done after a "pro" checks it out for you if you do not possess the skill set to do so yourself.

Thanks Tex. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but given the limited use, I would definitely have a mechanical survey done as well along with a tune-up before I attempted to sail the boat home (NC to Maryland). The guy to refit the boat apparently works in the marine industry, so I suspect the Marine Power decision was the one that made financial sense. Personally, I would have gone with a rebuilt Crusader or something. But the boat appears to be in beautiful shape and is at a nice price point, so I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Sure your right and it will be fine. My MP is nothing more than a marinized chevy (bowtie stamps and #s) that most other makers also used for their models. My trouble comes from getting repair info and part-# related to the MP MEFI system. I am now reviewing indmar, pcm, crusader, omc, volvo, diagnostic/repair info to trouble shoot the MP system since they were/are close or identical and MP information seems not to have ever been created or retained anywhere, other than an "owner's manual" with general info, not really a diagnostic/service manual. Good luck.

So what's the deal with these MP engines? Their website isn't very specific...is it just a similar outfit to like Jasper where they take worn out motors and reman them?

Nothing like Jasper...

They are an OEM Marinizer, just like PCM or Merc (standard production)...they negotiate with GM and get their derivative MARINE engines and then add the necessary bolt-ons and bundle you up a package, if desired.

As TT noted, their support isn't top of the line but I've found that to vary by location.

As far as diagnostics, the MEFI (delphi) data is out on the internet; search and ye shall find...

On the parts topic, most of what they provide can be obtained via the subtier OEM part number or replaced with aftermarket parts...very few items are MP specific.

Finally, regarding the "modern technology" comment earlier...if you know how to tune an engine, there's no reason why you can get equivalent performance and economy out of an "older" engine vs a new MPI one.

Mako - your second sentence might be getting to my original question more than I realized. It might be a case of me not knowing what I didn't know...

To extremely oversimplify the explanation - Jasper rebuilds existing engines, but these "OEM Marinizers" take GM engines and make them marine engines? Am I understanding that correctly?

I guess my primary concern is getting into unnecessary issues. As we all know, boats become complicated enough, and I'd prefer to start with as few strikes against me as possible. If properly surveyed, do I have any reason to doubt the ability of the MP to give me plenty of life, or is this a cheap knock-off product that will give me nothing but headaches?

Just to be clear, my comment was directed to their "new" products...I'm sure that they have "rebuilt units" as most every other OEM has gone down that path recently due to competition....and I don't have any experience their.

The GM marine units have a default configuration for the standard production units...every OEM engine I've worked on over the past 30 years has been in the default GM configuration. The EFI package allows for custom programming but the few factory "tunes" I've looked at don't deviate from GM's recommendations. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just I haven't seen it.

As far as they rebuild go, if it came from an OEM, it was likely to be from a contract rebuilder with a decent quality rating (somebody who knows what they are doing)...problems do happen but they aren't common 'cause nobody would stay in business just fixing warranty claims...

I think you are on the right approach, get a surveyor and make sure they are accredited...don't be surprised if they surveyor has an independent mechanic assess the engines...also - make sure you and the surveyor have an understanding of what will and won't be "checked"...there are three main types of surveys and you want to make sure you get ALL your questions answered before parting with big bucks.

good luck

Back