Logo

Restoring a VRO system..... Maybe not!

carrnflight

Bought a pontoon that has a Johnson 60 VRO on it. The VRO had been disconnected and my plan was to reconnect it. Plan was to get the engine revived on premix and then reconnect all the VRO stuff. I connected a portable 6gal tank with 50:1 premix and started pumping the bulb, I found fuel squirting out of the oil side of the VRO pump. With this I started looking for a VRO pump and found they are running in the $500 range. I refuse to spend that much on a pump that I consider to be high maintenance not to mention having to replace the oil line and tank and all the little hoses. So can someone give me a part # for a pulse pump that will work in place of the VRO pump, and I'll keep doing the premix thing. ( this is my first VRO, so premix is old hat to me)

If this is a 2 cylinder motor then install a pump from a 48 HP " special " model and there is a place to mount it on the side of the top cylinder.---Remove the plug in the pulse port there and install the pump with 2 screws and the gasket.--Plug the pulse port hole for the VRO pump.----If a 3 cylinder then order a pump for an 83 model or some " commercial " models also use a simple pump.

Be sure to run non oxy fuel and with these conversions I suggest Amsoil at 100:1. I have done several of these dating back almost 15 years without a single failure. Amsoil has the only product that I trust at these ratios. Its called Saber and runs about $10 a quart. Early VROs are problematic and as they age and are exposed to alcohol, they will fail.

Back