Logo

120hp force won't idle

I just bought a 91 bayliner with 120hp force inboard and it wont idle . Seems to run fine at higher rpms. I wonder if The proper spark plugs are in . I'm new to this boating thing and need some help.
Thanks !!

Now it won't even start . Have spark on all 3 cylinders . Plugs are wet . Carb bowls are full . Cleaned spark plugs 4 times . ..... Now what ? ..... Can anyone help ?

Start here, do a compression test first.Then check to see if the flywheel key has sheared. Remove the plugs,turn the flywheel untill the top piston is fully extended(small screwdriver). Then around the other side,check the timing mark above the top carb. It should be very close to the single hash mark on the FW. That ok, then turn in all air screws until they just bottom out.Then out 1 turn. I don't like doing this but a quick shot of starting fluid will help. Using SF all the time is NOT good for your motor.

When these carbs foul they flood the engine. Pull and Clean the carbs, replace the plugs and only use starting fluid with lube in it as a last resort. While cleaning the carbs, check the floats for holes if they are brass.

Be careful taking the carbs apart. Some parts are NLA

Last edited:
It was a great help guys ! Compression and timing was ok . I put new spark plugs in again , cleaned carbs and started with a very small shot of lubricated starting fluid . It ran a little rough for a couple minutes but is now running like a champ ! I'll also complete my profile . Thanks again for your advice guys . Taking the kids out in it this weekend and I'm sure they are going to be smiling ! :)

Back