Logo

checking oil on my 87' cobra

doug4320

Contributing Member
I put a 230 OMC engine in my boat and reattached the drive and lower unit. I have spark and fuel.You can see fuel squirting in the carb. Carb gasket leaks. Im gonna replace it. Engine will fire if I dump lots of gas in the carb. But any way I do not own a manual. I need to know about checking the oil in my cobra drive and lower unit.

the oil is checked on the top of the outboard. In the center on top, unscrew the flat head bolt, attached is a dipstick. Oil should be on the mark on the dipstick. Be cautious while filling the outboard, a lot of upper gears get ruined by not properly filling it.

A couple of notes on the picture below... The upper and lower oil passages are connected by the driveshaft between them. But this passage is tight, not allowing oil to seep through quickly. If you fill the outboard from the top only (Port A) it's not going to fill correctly, and you'll have a lot of air bubbles. Remove the dipstick at port a (this allows air to escape while filling), pump in oil into port B until you see oil on the dipstick. Install dipstick tightly (this creates a vacuum lock). Quickly remove the pump and reinstall the plug. After letting the oil settle recheck at the dipstick, and fill at that port if needed. Future top offs can be added at Port A, and recheck the level (at a minimum) for a couple of weeks, before and after each time you take the boat out. Trust me, you do not want to run the upper gears without oil.

The Cobra outboards take two quarts of oil.
oilfill2.jpg

I should add another thing... When your engine is turning, so is your upper gears in the outboard, and so is your water impeller. So fair warning, make sure you're outboard is serviced correctly before even starting the boat.

ok this post is really old. I fired the boat up today. I sure hope the upper gears werent running without oil. If so I'm a royal dummie.

Back