Logo

Can i use a trigger assembly from a 4 cylinder on a 1989 3 cylinder?

Hi there,

My assumption is that this will not work but I am hoping someone will tell me I am wrong. I have a Force 85 that I have been trying to get going for awhile now. I have no spark on any cylinder. I have tested everything per the SELOC manual and determined that I have no voltage output on the trigger. I ordered a used trigger which also tested 0 output. The seller sent a replacement, but it turns out that it is for a 4 cylinder. I want to make sure that the only course of action is to return this one before I spend the time.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.

NO!!! Won't work,sorry. The trigger isin't usually the problem?? Test the key switch,the kill switch and then the stator. Outboard ignition . com has test procedures,WAY BETTER than seloc.

NO!!! Won't work,sorry. The trigger isin't usually the problem?? Test the key switch,the kill switch and then the stator. Outboard ignition . com has test procedures,WAY BETTER than seloc.
Thanks for the response. I have tested the kill switch at the terminal block and the key switch. I also tested and replaced the stator and confirmed that output from the replacement stator is OK. Trigger resistance tests good but output still shows 0. I have also disconnected the rectifier with no change. The book does not give me anything else to test. I have looked at the outboard ignition web site and it said pretty much the same as SELOC. Is there anything else to test? It seems strange that multiple triggers would fail, but what do I know?
Thanks.
Jon

View attachment 7349butt.jpgTry changing ALL the connectors on the whole motor. I believe you have the packs with the big plugs?? If so change them to a different connector. Lots of times changing all the connectors can fix the problem. Where you located?Fill out the profile? You might be close to someone who can help?

Thanks for the suggestion, but everything pretty much goes to terminal blocks. The only butt connectors are from the power packs to the individual coils and I am getting no output from the trigger but good output from the charge coil / stator. Wouldn't that indicate a bad trigger or am I thinking incorrectly?

Sorry about that,was thinking yours was an 85??? Duh!! Two triggers bad? In 28years I've not seen a bad trigger.Still change the connectors, using the same type as that's on there. The trigger could be bad, I send the "new" one back and get the right one. I had a motor quit one day and fought with the diagnosis for a week. One minute, no spark, then spark? I finnaly changed the wire ends and found under the shrink the connections were broken?

Back