Logo

88 hp evirude will not run when trimmed completely down

jerry barnard

okay i have a 88 hp evinrude that will not plane with engine trimmed completely down it stalls it has new plugs plug wires and new fuel as well the carbs have been rebuilt it idles and runs fine other wise please help

Last edited:
If it stops in a few seconds ? You may have a broken wire in the long cable running out of the engine. Look at where MOST of the bending / twisting occurs. I had a break in the wire that pulses the primer pump. Took a while to figure it out. Then split the main cable & pull each wire till the rubber stretched. BINGO !!

A wiring diagram with the color code of every wire speeded up the process.

If turning off the key is the same as lowering the engine ? Check for correct Ohm / or voltage readings with the with raising & lowering the motor.

Might get lucky with the motor cover off & a helper raising & lowering. Even look for a rubbed wire shorting to a metal part of the engine. Throttle or shiftcables count.

Last edited:
put a timing light on it when its in the failing position and decide whether its an electrical or fuel problem...i suspect a carb problem...

If float bowls are plastic then check them for being warped.------If warped they may leak / flood the motor when trimmed down.

Back