Logo

What water pump impellor repair kit do I need?

Beagleman

Regular Contributor
Good day folks. You guys are so awesome that I decided to hit you up for advice again. I got a 40 hp mariner (40 E 6E9 s 104752), 1985 2 cylinder outboard. Basically a copy of those old Yamaha fm series. I was told recently that it's time for me to change the impeller kit on my outboard. In turn, this will save my motor from overheating apparently.

SO, if anyone would be so kind as to send me a part number for the water pump impeller repair kit that i'd need, a good site to get it on, and a link that will show me how to do it.

THanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, which is much appreciated.

All the best.

Robby

Last edited:
thanks again havent a clue. However, if I was to order a new repair kit (which I cant see in the motor diagram link you showed me), then what would it be and what's its serial number because the diagram you showed me shows each individual part (and there's a lot) but doesn't show the repair kit themselves.

Please help (as in lamen terms and be specific) because i'm a dumb newf fisherman that my education don't lie in the computer domain (if you know what I mean).

Thanks again.

Robby

my education don't lie in the computer domain
Neither does mine.lol
But the only number I can find for your motor is a Sierra 18-3397,it comes up as Yamaha but then this a Yamaha.The Yamaha number is 679-W-0078-00-00
If everything looks good and there are no deep scores on the existing pump or water in the lower unit,I would just change the impeller.I don't like to disturb things unless absolutely necessary.
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_search.php?part_num=18-3397&submit=

Last edited:
Haventaclue thanks, I appreciate it. I hauled the lower unit off and got to the impeller. It had two broken vein tips, one attached, the other MIA. Could the broken one been what's causing the extremely hot water coming out? Also, do you think that cracked vein's tip is in my motor somewhere? If so, how the hell do I get it out? (if I actually need to?).

In respect to the rest of the pump housing unit, it looks as though there's no burrs, cracks, scratches, and the like. Also, the seals appear to be good. In turn, am I better off just getting the impeller, or is it almost the same price as the whole kit, in turn i'm just as well to get the kit and save the seals? So, what's the part number (and a good site) to get the impeller itself?

Is there anything else I should be looking for now that the lower unit is off?

THanks for yours, and any help from anyone else.

All the best.

RObby

Definitely find the missing bit.Do it as kimcrwbr1 says in your other thread.The complete Sierra kit $36.14 is cheaper than the Quicksilver/Mercury impeller on it's own $62.50.Some have no faith in spurious/aftermarket parts.I use Sierra and have had no problem with it.
You can buy of this site here,those are the prices on Marineengine.com,It helps keep it up and running.
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-3397&ptype=&Engine=&Model=
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER47-99971M&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Back