Logo

Boat not accelerate and vibrates crazy please help

I ain't the ghost can i help: Click on the link....

http://www.harborfreight.com/rear-axle-bearing-puller-set-66380.html

Use the axle puller thru the bearing use a spanner across the opening with a threaded rod and slow and steady pressure you will get it out.

Any other puller with a spanner and screw will do with the axle puller as long it spans the opening capiche ?

Don't use a slapper.

I have to take a picture tomorrow to show you my dilemma. Half of the bearing puller tool is used is stuck in there, the tool broken in two halves.

But, thanks for your help.

Push the broke tool all the way thru and worry about fishing it out latter. With the bearing out of the way maybe you can get it out with a magnet or fish it out of the bilge.

About these slapper bearing pullers my way is the better way with a spanner puller i don't care what anyone else says.
A person can generate 2-4 tons of pulling power slow and steady compared to a slapper.

About your vibration the u-joints. Running the drive trimmed to high can be the problem, water in the bellows they got to be toast if you run in saltwater.

You have gear oil in the bellows also ?

I'll bow out now cause you seem fixated on what the other guy has to post.

I wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

Push the broke tool all the way thru and worry about fishing it out latter. With the bearing out of the way maybe you can get it out with a magnet or fish it out of the bilge.
Can't do that please see picture.

About your vibration the u-joints. Running the drive trimmed to high can be the problem, water in the bellows they got to be toast if you run in saltwater.
I believe the big vibration is gone but it was due to bilge took on water and wet plug wires. Little water was found, but I think it was because the bilge took on water due to bad auto float, water made its way through the gimbal bearing.

You have gear oil in the bellows also ?
No sir.

I'll bow out now cause you seem fixated on what the other guy has to post.
No, I don't and I value your expertise and everyone's help.

07_resize.jpg10_resize.jpg12_resize.jpg

What kinda pos tool is that Chinese maybe?

you did have the right idea good for you, now to get you out of the problem your in.

ok got a dremel cut off the shaft as close to the bearing as you can push thru the rest and get what I posted and remove the bearing.

Most of my pullers are craftsman , auto zone will rent you a puller.

If your in nj I'll come down and pull it for you.

What kinda pos tool is that Chinese maybe?

You can say that POS again, bought the POS from Ebay didn't say it was made in China. Had I known it's made in China I wouldn't touch with a mile long stick!!!

you did have the right idea good for you, now to get you out of the problem your in.
ok got a dremel cut off the shaft as close to the bearing as you can push thru the rest and get what I posted and remove the bearing.
Most of my pullers are craftsman , auto zone will rent you a puller.
Thanks for the suggestion and heads up. I'll be back for update

If your in nj I'll come down and pull it for you.
You're trooper! Appreciate it!

I had guys from NYC drove to my place 3 hours drive so their BMW can get fixed for free. :) (not for everyone though just a few cool great guys)

Then your doing it wrong and you can't say if you worked on saltwater boats that pos worked every time.

My way it works everytime, that means i don't waste time.

Ummmmmmm did someone wake up on the wrong side of the boat?

I have been using this type of puller for gimbal bearings for 23 years.....Never had a failure...........never had an issue........

salt or fresh water it has always worked.............of course mostly fresh water boats but some salt water have come my way.
That is also why I made a 10-15 pound slide to replace the small one that comes with the snap on puller i have. two pulls and there out........period!

So I would say I am doing it RIGHT!

Still trying to remove the broken tool inside the Gimbal housing. I'm in deep $$hiiiTTT right now. I was wrong to have bought the Mallory's imitation tool. Wish I used either one ghost's or Master mechanic's.

I'm going to ACE hardware today to buy a short chain link with S links at both ends to see if I can get a grip to the broken tool using my axle puller. Wish me luck.

Ok get Down to sears I don't know if ace has a puller like the spooks and build up the sides where the spanner goes make it taller grip the nut and pull slow and steady I'm on my iPhone hard to type.

Spook here with a hand drawn picture showing whT I believ the MATSER is refering to. Instead of a slide hammer you use the jaw and finger part and a threaded rod, nut and plate (against the gimbal housing) and just tighten the nut to pull the bearing out of the housing
If you have any questions please ask.

Last edited:
Ghost, nice drawing. :) I like..
Master, thank you...

But here is my problem the big nut from the broken tool has no meat on the other side where you can use a 2 or 3 jaws puller.

It's kind of chamfer, can't get a grip on it. The only thing I can think of right now is chain.

I'm screwed, it won't budge, the bearing seems to float around the outer aluminum race. I may have to call in the Pro.

i got a long 3/4 inch hardened fine threaded rod, stuck it through the bearing installed two large thich washers and a nut on the engine side, ( yes i did do a few contortions to get the nut on), and then made a plate to span the gimbel housing with a 3/4 inch hole in the center put a nut on the other end and turned it, out came the bearing that earlier broke two snapon bearing pullers ( slide hammer type)

I posted already cut that shaft close to the bearing with a dremel then push the tool thru to the back of the engine fish it out latter .

Then use a spanner blind bearing extractor. Like the one the previous poster described.

Or use the axle head from harbor freight and use the threaded screw and spanner.

feel your pain lousy tools from china.

Last edited:
I posted already cut that shaft close to the bearing with a dremel then push the tool thru to the back of the engine fish it out latter .

Then use a spanner blind bearing extractor. Like the one the previous poster described.

Or use the axle head from harbor freight and use the threaded screw and spanner.

feel your pain lousy tools from china.

I saw that but don't how you could going there that deep to cut the shaft close to the bearing with the bellow still in place.

The Gimbal housing is coming out tomorrow.

i got a long 3/4 inch hardened fine threaded rod, stuck it through the bearing installed two large thich washers and a nut on the engine side, ( yes i did do a few contortions to get the nut on), and then made a plate to span the gimbel housing with a 3/4 inch hole in the center put a nut on the other end and turned it, out came the bearing that earlier broke two snapon bearing pullers ( slide hammer type)

Thanks for chiming in but my situation is different, the tool I used had the same idea as your home made, it broke and stuck in the bellow, I have no way of getting a hold of the bearing. See earlier pictures.

In the time that we've spent posting back and forth, you could have pulled this little 4.3L engine, taken care of the issue, and had the engine back in by now.

With a few extra hours, you could clean up the bilge, take care of any wiring issues, checked things out, re-arrange anything, etc.

May the boat g-ds be with you.
Ditto.........................................

No such thing but thanks.

In the time that we've spent posting back and forth, you could have pulled this little 4.3L engine, taken care of the issue, and had the engine back in by now.

With a few extra hours, you could clean up the bilge, take care of any wiring issues, checked things out, re-arrange anything, etc.

Tru dad! my bad..

Sorry, So much going on and so little time but finally got the Gimbal housing OFF. I was very careful not to bust any thing along the way still managed to break the oil line port from the transom Picture with RED cap on. Can I replace this oil line port?

Broken_tool.jpgOilport_broke.jpg

Sorry, So much going on and so little time but finally got the Bell housing OFF. I was very careful not to bust any thing along the way still managed to break the oil line port from the transom Picture with RED cap on. Can I replace this oil line port?

View attachment 7491View attachment 7492

I can't find that oil port part number and neither the oil line hose that connects to it. Can someone tell the part numbers for those two?

Back