Logo

My Ninety and it's water pump.

ronnierockcod

Was running my Ninety (BBBL1006849) in a water tank in neutral gear at about 2500 rpm. I had a solid water stream from the pee hole. After about eight to ten minutes flow began to decline to a dribble within a minute or two. After shutting down I figured the water pump needed repair or replacement. I found no mention of a water pump in my shop manual only "Water jacket cover/thermostat/thermoswitch." Nothing in the illustrations or mention of a pump. In advance I welcome any advice to repair an obvious water flow problem or where I should look in my shop manual. Thanks, Ron.

Before tearing things apart, get a piece of weedwacker mono, or 300 lb fishing mono and work it up the pee hole as far as it will go. That often clears it. Having said that, it's a good idea to change out the water pump impeller at least every season or every 400 hours. Folks on this forum who are intimately familiar with the 90 can probably give you instructions. Alternatively, consider investing in the Helm Shop Manual for that motor. It will provide detailed instructions for removal and replacement.

Are you saying that the Helm shop manual doesn't cover changing out the water pump? It should be in there somewhere. Or is there another problem?

It's got to be in that manual somewhere! It probably won't be in the same section as the thermostat. I mean if it's not in your copy, then you probably have a "defective" one.

Back