Logo

points and condenser for early 80s Chrysler 15hp

Last edited:
Call them (989) 366-8178 Yes the flywheel needs to come off.Take it off and file the points. Might save you time and $$ Got a manual? A factory one works best.

Call them (989) 366-8178 Yes the flywheel needs to come off.Take it off and file the points. Might save you time and $$ Got a manual? A factory one works best.

Thanks very much for the phone number, Jerry.
I phoned Valley Sales Friday ~4 pm and Robert was sure that points and condensers would be available, and I heard him ask Adam, to confirm that.
I'm still waiting for the shop manager to email with prices.
Removing the flywheel also is a small concern.
chrysleroutboarddude, on a youtube video, said the 3 flywheel holes are untapped, so a flywheel puller won't apply. chryserboarddude lifted a flywheel edge and then banged once, with a 'brass hammer', on top of the crankshaft, which had the nut loosely threaded on, and level with the top end of the crankshaft...and that seemed to 'crack' the flywheel off of the keyway.
I haven't won the 15 hp yet. It's bid up to NZ$200, with the auction closing in 10 hours, but I'll try to win it.

Another supplier to try is standard magneto.com. Ignition parts for my 1977 35 hp got discontinued last year, and standard magneto bought the tooling for the points...

Another supplier to try is standard magneto.com. Ignition parts for my 1977 35 hp got discontinued last year, and standard magneto bought the tooling for the points...
Thanks, and I just checked standardmagneto.com, and guess that some Chrysler outboards used Wico Prestolite contact points.
When chysleroutboarddude lifted up on the flywheel, would he have been lifting from the edge closest to the crankshaft's key?
And would it be easy to know where that key is, on the crankshaft's 360 degree circumference?

Thanks, and I just checked standardmagneto.com, and guess that some Chrysler outboards used Wico Prestolite contact points.
When chysleroutboarddude lifted up on the flywheel, would he have been lifting from the edge closest to the crankshaft's key?
And would it be easy to know where that key is, on the crankshaft's 360 degree circumference?

I don't work on Chryslers. All I know is that you should never try to pry a flywheel off. Better off to loosen the nut, but leave it on by a few threads, and give the end of the crankshaft a firm blow with a dead blow hammer. ( Not a regular steel one). Prying on a flywheel can end up damaging it...just my opinion...sorry I couldn't be more help...

Take the nut off and you can see where the keyway was cut. You can try a 2 or 3 jaw puller to get the wheel off. No matter what you do it's gonna require a hammer to JOLT it loose.

Nutz. You can either tap threads in those holes, or you can use a knocker. Never pound on the nut and never pull by the flywheel edges. Knockers are sold by Techumseh (Lawn Mower shops) or you can make your own. As many times as I have posted this, it seems everybody would know by now. But here goes again: Obtain two regular hex nuts, same size as crankshaft threads, and a bolt, the shorter, the better. Screw one nut up onto the bolt, then the second one but only a turn or so. Then run the first one back down to jam against the second one. You have just made yourself a special tool. To use it, screw it hand-tight onto the crankshaft, then use a large screwdriver to pry upward on the flywheel just enough to lift it up in the bearing clearances. Now give the knocker a sharp whack or two with a hammer. That flywheel will pop right off. If it doesn't, retighten the knocker and repeat. OK, all you guys that are going into orbit about now, I didn't say pry on the flywheel with a crowbar, nor did I say to beat on it with a sledgehammer. You are only lifting the flywheel so you can knock the shaft out of it. And you aren't beating it out, it is the shock that does it, not the bash. I have removed thousands of flywheels with these very knockers pictured here. Oh, and BTW, this works very well on smaller motors up to 1/2-20 thread size. Not so well on the big motors. Use a proper flywheel puller on those.

Attachments

• Flywheel Knocker.jpg
    Flywheel Knocker.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 172
Hi; This is my 1st time on this form so let me introduce myself my name is Ben AKA Chrysleroutboarddude on youtube, please forgive if i do this wrong.
So in reply on how to get the flywheel off PLEASE DON'T drill and tap the flywheel that can cause the flywheel to crack at hi RPM,either use the flywheel knocker or how i did it in the video.

Last edited:
Back