Logo

Tohatsu MFS 6B will not stay in neutral

Is the detent ball and spring at the handle working properly? Is the shift coupler adjusted so that when the LU is fully in R, the handle is in R?

Thanks Paul for the response: I'm not quite sure what the detent ball and spring are, or how to adjust the shift coupler. I only have a Owner Guide and it doesn't mention them. I suspect the shift needs adjusting but can't find anything online to guide me.

The Factory service manual is copyrighted, so not available free online; it is available from any dealer (even me), and can guide you in setting up the shifter.

There is a ceramic detent ball that allows the shift lever to "click" into F, N, and R; The best, fastest, and simplest way to adjust the linkage is to shift to R (if not running, you may need to rotate the prop by hand while engaging R), then open the rubber grommet in the side of the leg to access the brass shift coupler. Release the bolt in the coupler about 1/2 turn, then press the cam rod all the way down in R, by depressing it where it exits the grommet at the top of the leg (where it triggers the reverse bracket lock)... confirm that the lever is still clicked in to R, then tighten the coupler.

Since R is then synchronized, so is N and F.

Back