Logo

Gamefisher 5HP. impeller/lower unit rep. (Year unknown)

PARAD0X

I have black 5 HP gamefisher as a back up for my larger boat. Need to check and may be change impeller. Lower unit bolts are off, lower init is free, moved down about 1/4". That's it, it does not come down anymore. Seems that either the shaft is stuck or the shifting bar needs to be disconnected. The shifting lever has no bolt or screw on the bottom to be removed. No access holes around the shaft. Sears pictures shows some shifting rod going up with a splice. (Not sure if it's the same model. THis bugger does rotate 360 deg. neutral, and gear shift on the side. I don't want to force it more then I already did. (I think I broke the shifting already) HELP !!!! Thx P

I have a 9.9HP Game fisher. Same thing as you are describing. There is a socket head cap screw on the front inside of the lower unit that connects the upper shift gear shaft to the lower unit shift gear shaft. This screw needs to come partially out. Use a flsh light to look inside. You should see the shift shaft with the screw. The shaft section with the screw is the threaded section. The lower unit shift shaft is not thread whcih creates a little play in the steering. Screw out the screw partially until the threads clear the hole it protrudes in the lower unit shaft. If you unscrew until the is all the way out, You will probably be challenaged to get it back in when re-assembling. By the way, do not rotate the shaft after you disengage. You will may have a time insuring alignment when re-assembling or mis-aligning the shifting so rev or neurtal will not work. Let me know what you find.

I have a 9.9HP Game fisher. Same thing as you are describing. There is a socket head cap screw on the front inside of the lower unit that connects the upper shift gear shaft to the lower unit shift gear shaft. This screw needs to come partially out. Use a flsh light to look inside. You should see the shift shaft with the screw. The shaft section with the screw is the threaded section. The lower unit shift shaft is not thread whcih creates a little play in the steering. Screw out the screw partially until the threads clear the hole it protrudes in the lower unit shaft. If you unscrew until the is all the way out, You will probably be challenaged to get it back in when re-assembling. By the way, do not rotate the shaft after you disengage. You will may have a time insuring alignment when re-assembling or mis-aligning the shifting so rev or neurtal will not work. Let me know what you find.

Thank you for your help. The shifting shaft is disconnected. I removed the lower unit from the head. the whole thing came down 3/8" +- shifting rod/shaft is loose. I probably broke or disconnected the shifting lever, since it loose and I can see the open clamp like attachment near the head. The lower unit still stuck, and it seems stuck at the lower unit / impeller area. The impeller might be stuck on the shaft. THe housing moves freely but the shaft will not disconnect from the head nor the lower unit. Crow bar is next. :(

I got it removed. Seems that there is a pin in the driveshaft and there is only one way it will slide out. However, I had to force it out so I bent the impeller plate, (I can fix) but the shaft did not come out from the head. I have to force that out to. But I think I can get things fixed now, except the damn impeller is like $115. Any other impellers might work? Cheaper source then Sears?

Back