Logo

Gear Oil leaking from lower unit - 84 Alpha One Mercruiser

Chip Timm

I have never noticed before if this is a problem or not as the boat is typically stored on a lawn, but now that my boat has been in the driveway this summer I've noticed I've got gear oil leaking from the lower unit. I recently took the lower unit apart to replace the impeller, but it's been used for about 8 hours and now that it's been sitting in the drive for 2 weeks, I've noticed the gear oil leaking from a small hole on the LU, opposite the fill hole, on the starboard side. It's not much, maybe only 1/2 ounce or so but nonetheless concerning. Is this okay or did I screw up when putting it back together? I was very careful to replace and seat the o ring between the upper and lower.

The real small seal i use grease to hold it in place.

The shift shaft seal has to be replaced when you replace the impeller.

The correct wording is bushing but all it is is a seal. Some kits have it included some not.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m...5577-thru-0d469858/gear-housing-driveshaft-mr

To confirm pressure test the drive 10-12 psi and wiggle the shaft, you will hear the air.

Everytime you shift the bushing gets worn.

Last edited:
AFter reading your post, I looked in the upper unit after removing the lower unit and saw a broken ring with a spring hanging across the shaft hole.

Then I got looking around and I found the second attached picture of this seal. Is this the seal you referring to?

Back