Logo

DT100 stalls under load

ttjkn5

I have a 1980 DT 100 that stalls when gear is engaged. With the prop off it goes into gear and revs up to 2000 without missing a beat and engines sounds fine. When the prop is put back on and engaged in gear trying to put more throttle on to power up it stalls and kills engine. Back in neutral it starts right up and idles fine. Any thoughts? I am on a remote Island in Alaska and no service around, just me.

Start with a compression test.----Then check to see if you have spark on all cylinders that will jump a gap of 7/16" or more with a snap you can hear.--This could be as simple as a bad sparkplug or water in the fuel.-----Is this something that was a sudden event?--Ran fine last week ?

Start with a compression test.----Then check to see if you have spark on all cylinders that will jump a gap of 7/16" or more with a snap you can hear.--This could be as simple as a bad sparkplug or water in the fuel.-----Is this something that was a sudden event?--Ran fine last week ?

The compresion is all between 105 and 120, Has been sitting for a couple years, so replaced all oil and fuel and cleaned lines. Had carbs off and cleaned mains and float looked good.

I recheched and adjusted, cleaned carbs, then looked for electrical issues and found that cylinders 2 and 4 are not getting a spark. This has changed because I checked this before I put it in the water, Is there a safety cutoff on the left side of the engine. The manual says to check for voltage at the wires before the coil and it should be over 92 v, I assume this check is made while cranking the engine with plugs out.

Back