Logo

Starting Issues

happy oars

I have a 2005 Glastron mx 175 with the 130hp engine. I have had some problems starting lately. I turn the key and there is just this clicking sound. The engine doesn't turn. So far Ive been lucky enough that after turning the key 8 or 10 times it finely turns over, but I suspect that something will fail soon. I'm hoping this is a common and relatively simple fix and that I don't have to wait forever for a marine shop to charge me way too much. Anyone have suggestions or ideas?

M.M.

I would look first that there is a good ground between the engine block and the negative of the battery. If all OK, the I would check the starter solenoid and make sure the wiring on the ignition switch is tight and clean.

I have a 2005 Glastron mx 175 with the 130hp engine. I have had some problems starting lately. I turn the key and there is just this clicking sound. The engine doesn't turn. So far Ive been lucky enough that after turning the key 8 or 10 times it finely turns over, but I suspect that something will fail soon. I'm hoping this is a common and relatively simple fix and that I don't have to wait forever for a marine shop to charge me way too much. Anyone have suggestions or ideas?

M.M.

My Larson 228 Lxi did nothing on the ramp just yesterday. Replaced battery on ramp. Clicked but no turnover--sounds like same thing you had. Three tries later, click turned into turnover and start. I checked my connections today, and found a sort of loose but still connected battery cable at the big-plastic-safety-key-switch-that's-supposed-to-prevent-battery-drain* (don't know the exact term). Tightened it up and started first time 4 times in a row. I think that was the issue. We'll see next time.

*Sorry for the wording. The cable leaves the + terminal on the battery, goes to a terminal on a switch with a removable red key accessed from the cockpit, then leaves an adjacent terminal back toward the starter. All very thick gauge cable. Hope that helps.

Back