Logo

Commander 3000 Control -- Hard to throttle in reverse

kevinj

Advanced Contributor
I have a Mercruiser Commander 3000 control in my 2000 Crownline. The control shifts into forward gear just fine and throttle movement is easy and free when going forward. However, the lever is very stiff when going back. It shifts fine into reverse, but whenever I try to give it any throttle I have to really pull hard on the lever and it wants to stick.

I talked to a local mechanic and he seemed to think it's most likely a screw that has come loose and is rubbing against the mechanism, limiting its movement. he said he's seen this many times and should be a straight forward fix. Can anyone give me an idea of what screw(s) I should be looking for? I've owned outboard boats for years and done most of my own work, but this is my first Mercruiser so I feel a little lost on what look for on this beast.

I appreciate any help or pictures you can provide. I found the parts diagram (http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m.../1994-up/commander-3000-classic-827270a32-a35) but I'm not certain where I should be looking to fix this.

kevin

Same principle as an OB shifter assy. Remove the cover and take a look at the mechanics of the throttle. Remove the handle first then reinstall it. Unbolting it from the sidewall will help you see better.

Back