Logo

Volvo Penta 2002B overheating

windhunter

I have a Volvo 2002B, 1985. The temp warning came on after about 1 hours continuous use at 2300rpm. The engine ran fine the day before and the previous yrs. Its raw water cooled. I was still seeing the normal amount of water exiting with the exhaust. I removed the thermostat, assuming it was stuck. This did not solve the issue. Since then I have back flushed the thru-hull intake with a shore water hose, its clear. Checked the water pump impeller, all vanes are attached. I checked that water flow our of the exit on the far side of the thermostat and water is flowing meaning water is circulating in the block. Block temp right next to the sensor reached over 200F. I have lots of water flow and still overheats. Suggestions?

What about the exhaust 'mixer'. Don't know that engine, but I assume that the exhaust and cooling water meet in a typical mixer/elbow type setup? On an engine of that age this would be an area that could easily be your problem if it hasn't been serviced.

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the elbow about 5 years ago. Not that it had cause other than I had concern for its age. In looking for the source of this issue, I pulled the elbow off looking for clogs where the water came in and its in good shape for as much as I can see into it.

Back