Logo

New to boating, seeking information on my Motor and maintenance!

Deroya

Hello. I've been around boating for a while within my family but I just very recently purchased my own first boat. It's nothing special, 2006 16ft carolina skiff center console with a 2005 Yamaha F25 outboard. I love it, perfect for my current needs and is a great first boat. A few questions I have are basic such as what should I be doing for normal day to day maintenance? Of course I've read the manual as far as freshwater flushing and whatnot but I'd like to hear what other owners like to do. I run it in salt water only. Motor is very clean and runs strong and I'd like to keep it that way. Also, my motor is listed on the panel as an F25ELRD, yet I cannot find any specific info on this motor? It is a 2005 4 stroke, the manual doesn't specify ELRD or what the letters stand for. If anyone can help me with my noob questions that would be fantastic! Thanks :D

I run it in salt water only.
Flush it every use including the exterior. If you can just back the boat into a freshwater lake and run the engine for 3-5 mins. Always use a fuel stabilizer in the tank. If using ethanol fuel use Stabil for ethanol. Some people like to disconnect the fuel line and let the carbs run out of fuel to reduce fuel varnish from developing. Check the wheel bearings after arriving at the water w/your hand...hubs should be warm and never hot.

So stabilize the fuel on EVERY tank? I do not have access to a freshwater launch. But I suppose I could run it in a bucket at my house. Lately I've been letting it run out of fuel while doing a freshwater flush, not sure how necessary it is but without the stabilizer I suppose it's good. What else are good techniques? And do you know any information on my motor?

So stabilize the fuel on EVERY tank?
Unless you run the tank out each trip or within 14-21 days add stabil. Running it dry is good. Keep the battery terminals clean and tight. Don't overfill the battery and only use distilled water. I use a green battery fill bottle that always fills the battery to the proper level w/o gussing. I use a battery protective spray on the terminals to stop corrosion.

Back